HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Vehicle speed wire for an aftermarket navigation system

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Buicknutt

PostSubject: Vehicle speed wire for an aftermarket navigation system   Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:32 pm

So I got the pioneer 5200 nex nav. unit for Christmas.

Just checking if anyone here has installed one of these yet and knows the closest location to tap the vehicle speed sensor lead.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle speed wire for an aftermarket navigation system   Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:38 pm

What year car is it?

The VSS wire is the raw signal. Dark green color wire. You should be able to tap the wire to the speedometer. The under the dash speedometer wire on the LT1 cars is dark green with a white tracer. It is brown on the TBI cars.
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle speed wire for an aftermarket navigation system   Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:46 pm

First of all, the Nav unit uses GPS as the reference for speed, not the car's VSS info. Actually, the GPS tends to be more accurate than the speedo as long as it has a signal from at least three satellites.

There is a module

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_794ADSMRR/iDatalink-Maestro-ADS-MRR-Interface-Module.html?tp=3486

that will interface with the newer vehicles but probably won't be any use with your vintage of Buicks. Its for maintaining the steering wheel controls, OnStar, etc. and also pulls data from the ECM on the newer OBD 2 systems. Again probably not needed for your use.

Nice Nav unit. Wish my Santa was as nice.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Buicknutt

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle speed wire for an aftermarket navigation system   Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:16 pm

Thanks, its a 95 sedan. It has speed limit warnings in the software which is another reason it wants precise speed input.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle speed wire for an aftermarket navigation system   Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:00 pm

check pass side kick panel i think there's a green and white striped wire there,.at least there was on my 9c1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vehicle speed wire for an aftermarket navigation system   

Back to top Go down

Vehicle speed wire for an aftermarket navigation system
Page 1 of 1