GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

roof-rack crossbar aero effect

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

roof-rack crossbar aero effect Empty
PostSubject: roof-rack crossbar aero effect   roof-rack crossbar aero effect Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2017 9:51 am

Someone recently posted about the vacuum by the wagons at highway speeds, and it was suggested to use the old style crossbar at the rear position to alleviate this. I can't find that post now, but I meant to get back to it.

I had never heard of that vacuum effect on the wagon or recommendation before. I've been leaving the crossbars off my caprice because I always assumed it probably helped mpg, even if it's a minute amount. Has anyone done any comparisons with/without/with just one crossbars ? Doesn't need to be super scientific.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: roof-rack crossbar aero effect   roof-rack crossbar aero effect Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2017 6:01 pm

The thread referred to high speed affects...over 180 MPH. Depending on the shape of the rack it may or may not help/hinder the aerodynamics. Someone would have to put it in a wind tunnel with smoke to see what the air is actually doing. I think the difference between having the roof racks on or off would be too small to measure, except for over a long time span. The other changes in the car over the time necessary to get usable results could throw the whole research initiative off.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: roof-rack crossbar aero effect   roof-rack crossbar aero effect Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2017 7:58 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
over 180 MPH. Depending on the shape of the rack it may or may not help/hinder the aerodynamics. Someone would have to put it in a wind tunnel with smoke to see what the air is actually doing. I think the difference between having the roof racks on or off would be too small to measure, except for over a long time span. The other changes in the car over the time necessary to get usable results could throw the whole research initiative off.

fair enough.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: roof-rack crossbar aero effect   roof-rack crossbar aero effect Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

roof-rack crossbar aero effect
Page 1 of 1