GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

best rear view mirror adhesive

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
vetrnz06

best rear view mirror adhesive Empty
PostSubject: best rear view mirror adhesive   best rear view mirror adhesive Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2017 5:20 pm

the adhesive finally gave up after 21 years and i found the mirror laying on the dash the other day. the base of the mirror mount is super clean, but the vinyl adhesive piece is still on the windshield .didn't want to scrape that off yet. what is the best adhesive to reattach in your experience. the vinyl piece still on windshield is really on there good still so i'm thinking it should stay. thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: best rear view mirror adhesive   best rear view mirror adhesive Icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2017 6:31 pm

The mirror glue requires that you clean the glass so that it will stick. I do not think it will stick to the vinyl piece. Mark the outside, so that you know where to put the puck on.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: best rear view mirror adhesive   best rear view mirror adhesive Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2017 6:00 am

Any kit sold specifically as Mirror Attachment (not Super Glue) should last another 20 years. The windscreen needs to be clean. Razor scrape the old stuff off. Scuffing a small spot on the windscreen with 600 grit sandpaper in the middle of the attachment point might be overkill, but works well.
Back to top Go down
just me

PostSubject: Re: best rear view mirror adhesive   best rear view mirror adhesive Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2017 9:26 pm

I have found the thick gel kind of adhesive to work well but the thinner stuff just doesn't do it.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: best rear view mirror adhesive   best rear view mirror adhesive Icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2017 11:29 am

100% of the time my mirrors fell off, I brought car to the local auto glass place and they have glued it back on for free.  It has happened 4 times so far (different cars, different stores).
Back to top Go down
vetrnz06

PostSubject: Re: best rear view mirror adhesive   best rear view mirror adhesive Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2017 6:08 pm

watched a few you tube videos on how to remove the little 'button' on the mirror base. couldn't find any on the roadie rear view tho. but it looks similiar to a park ave mirror base.so i tried several diff ways to coax it off without breaking anything. so i guess i'll clean everything and attach it and sit and hold the whole mirror setup while it drys. i do have a couple of pics on my phone if anybody wants to see it up close. any other tricks?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: best rear view mirror adhesive   best rear view mirror adhesive Icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2017 6:38 pm

There is a place to put your thin screwdriver/removal tool under the mirror when installed to release the clip. You can manipulate the spring it when the mirror is off as well. There are two small curved pieces of metal at the bottom of the mirror base. They have teeth on the ends, and grip the puck. you must get them to bend enough that the teeth no longer touch the puck, then the puck will slide out. The circled area is the clip that holds onto the puck. I inserted a small screwdriver between the prongs, and pried against the link between them. I pried on the puck against the top parts of the clip at the green paint, above the circle with another larger screwdriver. It took a little work, but the puck came out.

best rear view mirror adhesive Mirror%20clip_zps0yh5fami

You will not be able to hold the mirror still enough for a long enough time for proper curing of the adhesive.
Back to top Go down
vetrnz06

PostSubject: Re: best rear view mirror adhesive   best rear view mirror adhesive Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2017 4:46 pm

finally was successful getting the button. a mechanic buddy did it. i gave it to him because i was afraid i would break it! took him  a few minutes  but nothing broken.yay. thanx fred cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: best rear view mirror adhesive   best rear view mirror adhesive Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

best rear view mirror adhesive
Page 1 of 1