HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

 1996 Chevy Caprice Wagon

Go down 

Posts : 5
Join date : 2017-04-09

PostSubject: 1996 Chevy Caprice Wagon    Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:30 pm

Looking to lower my car but was wondering what was the best springs to use without losing ride confort?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Posts : 4994
Join date : 2009-11-13
Age : 70
Location : Largo, FL 33774

PostSubject: Re: 1996 Chevy Caprice Wagon    Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:41 am

The springs are all about the same for comfort. Your ride comfort will be determined more by the shocks. If you cut the tapered portion of the lower arm bump stop off, you will get about another inch of suspension travel. That will make for a smoother ride over larger bumps. A sharp box cutter will work for cutting the bump stop.

Remember to remove 0.030 inches of shims from each of the upper control arm shim stacks for every measured 1/2 inch of drop. Measure and write down your height from the top of the wheel opening to the top of the rim before installing the springs, and then compare that with the lowered height. Removing the correct amount of shims will adjust for the induced negative camber from lowering the car, and you will not have to go to the alignment shop. For odd measurements...1 7/8" drop for instance, you can use the 2 inch shim stack numbers, and you will be within tolerance.

For those who are a little more adventurous, you can get a little more caster by adding 0.030 to the rear stack and taking 0.030 out of the front stack on each side after setting the camber. E.G. If you measure your drop at 2 inches, you would remove 0.120 from each stack. If you want to get a little more caster, you would remove 0.150 from the front, and 0.090 from the back.
Back to top Go down
1996 Chevy Caprice Wagon
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Suspension, Steering and Brakes-
Jump to: