HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Fuel tank?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank?   Fri May 12, 2017 1:37 pm

Do they repop the 90 and earlier wagon metal tanks? Another option, and it won't crack. I know you can use the plastic 91-up tank in the boxies, so you can probably use the metal tank in the whales.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank?   Fri May 12, 2017 4:31 pm

If you do decide to repair, rather than replace, you are going to resign yourself to a DIY job. Most licensed shops are put off by the Not Repairable embossing on the tank.
Back to top Go down
lamune

PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank?   Fri May 12, 2017 5:42 pm

Show us some pics of the car, too Smile
Back to top Go down
81X11

PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank?   Fri May 12, 2017 7:47 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Do they repop the 90 and earlier wagon metal tanks?  Another option, and it won't crack.  I know you can use the plastic 91-up tank in the boxies, so you can probably use the metal tank in the whales.

Hey that's an idea there!! My only concern would be the opening, since the older cars used a carburetor and the newer models have a pump in the tank.
Back to top Go down
Glide-Aways

PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank?   Sun May 14, 2017 6:45 pm

Think I found a tank. It's being shipped to my mechanic (ETA next week) and comes with a 30 day return policy. Fingers crossed!

In the meantime, I took the Caprice on our first road trip yesterday. Drove up to L.A. to visit some friends over brunch.  "He" performed flawlessly.  Had the AC and cruise on.  What a difference in ride compared to my box '87, not to mention mpg's:

By the time I pulled into the garage, the trip odometer reach 170.0 with still a half a tank full. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank?   Mon May 15, 2017 12:22 pm

You won't get 170 miles out of the last 'half' of tank. None of the TBIs I've owned has had a linear fuel gauge. The other difference on the TBI cars is below quarter tank when you corner, it'll fuel starve. This is normal.

LT1 car my wife would run dry and it'd take 21-22 gallons. on the TBI cars (I've DD 5 or 6 of them) most it would ever take was about 17.5-18 gallons due to the starvation 'issue'. I think the pickup sits higher and they fixed it on the 2nd gen....
Back to top Go down
Glide-Aways

PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank?   Tue May 16, 2017 9:53 am

Good to know about the cornering thing. I generally don't let my tanks get to ¼ before filling up again; perhaps a result of when I used to live in LA where one never knows how long a traffic jam will take lol.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank?   Tue May 16, 2017 10:30 am

Glide-Aways wrote:
Good to know about the cornering thing. I generally don't let my tanks get to ¼ before filling up again; perhaps a result of when I used to live in LA where one never knows how long a traffic jam will take lol.

Working in LA occasionally I also learned to go pee before getting into any car for same reason!
Back to top Go down
Glide-Aways

PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank?   Sun May 21, 2017 6:48 pm

Well, it's looking like I might head up to meet Buicknutt over the upcoming holiday weekend.  It will be about a 550 mile trek up there from where I live in San Deigo, but I'd rather give the business to a fellow forum member than a junk yard who may or may not have properly catalogued their inventory (speaking from experience over the past few days lol).  I'm excited to meet him and see his collection.  Wish me luck?  Cool
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank?   Sun May 21, 2017 7:27 pm

I will cost you about the same as shipping would cost.

It took 3 tries to get a good one last time I heard.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank?   Yesterday at 11:59 am

Wagon people are the best. I bet you leave with more than just the tank. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel tank?   

Back to top Go down

Fuel tank?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2