GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear suspension rebuild

Go down 
+6
phantom 309
RedandBlack
silverfox103
81X11
Fred Kiehl
Haze5736
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Haze5736

Rear suspension rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Rear suspension rebuild   Rear suspension rebuild Icon_minitimeFri May 12, 2017 6:15 am

I'm currently working on rebuilding the front suspension and am starting to think about doing the rear as well. Can someone help me with a list of components that would be replaced with a rear suspension rebuild? I have not found a post about doing the entire rear, just posts about individual components.

Also, is there anything particulary difficult when working on the rear suspension?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension rebuild   Rear suspension rebuild Icon_minitimeFri May 12, 2017 8:58 am

The only issue is getting a tool in place for the upper axle to arm bushings. If you are going to remove the axle from under the car, it is not an issue.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension rebuild   Rear suspension rebuild Icon_minitimeFri May 12, 2017 10:31 am

I actually had an issue with my '89 Custom Cruiser where the car would shift just a little to the left under acceleration, and it was the upper control arm bushings in the back that were weak. It never wore tires or anything, but you could feel the car shift sideways just a bit.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension rebuild   Rear suspension rebuild Icon_minitimeFri May 12, 2017 10:34 am

81X11 wrote:
I actually had an issue with my '89 Custom Cruiser where the car would shift just a little to the left under acceleration, and it was the upper control arm bushings in the back that were weak.   It never wore tires or anything, but you could feel the car shift sideways just a bit.

That 307 will do it everytime!

Tom
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension rebuild   Rear suspension rebuild Icon_minitimeFri May 12, 2017 11:19 am

Haze5736 wrote:
I'm currently working on rebuilding the front suspension and am starting to think about doing the rear as well. Can someone help me with a list of components that would be replaced with a rear suspension rebuild? I have not found a post about doing the entire rear, just posts about individual components.

Also, is there anything particulary difficult when working on the rear suspension?

Thanks.

Pretty easy. Upper arms, lower arms, axle bushings (as said before - removing the axle makes this easier). You can buy boxed lower arms with sway bar mounting points to add a rear swaybar down the line, too.

If you're in there, consider doing rear gears maybe if you want to wake the car up.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension rebuild   Rear suspension rebuild Icon_minitimeFri May 12, 2017 11:20 am

silverfox103 wrote:
81X11 wrote:
I actually had an issue with my '89 Custom Cruiser where the car would shift just a little to the left under acceleration, and it was the upper control arm bushings in the back that were weak.   It never wore tires or anything, but you could feel the car shift sideways just a bit.

That 307 will do it everytime!

Tom

Well with 140 horses screaming to run under that hood...something was bound to wear out... cheers
Back to top Go down
Haze5736

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension rebuild   Rear suspension rebuild Icon_minitimeFri May 12, 2017 3:53 pm

81X11 wrote:

I had the same problem with my 94 DeVille except in the front. The front sub-frame bushings were shot. It was bad in the FWD Caddy as it would try and steer me into the oncoming lane. I really had to pay attention.

Thanks everyone for the tips.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension rebuild   Rear suspension rebuild Icon_minitimeFri May 12, 2017 10:59 pm

81X11 wrote:

Well with 140 horses screaming like they had the runs under that hood...something was bound to wear out...    cheers

i think it would be my patience that would wear thin first,..
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension rebuild   Rear suspension rebuild Icon_minitimeSat May 13, 2017 11:04 am

I would invest in the stainless U-bolt to secure the top of the rear shock. User Navylifer sells them on issf. If you're doing the work on a lift and have fairly thin arms it's not a huge issue, but if you're doing it at home, you'll want these.

replace the coil spring isolators.

I have the tool to pull the axle bushings. I think I left it in BC though. I could probably mail it to you if you want to use it, but it won't be till July at least. Maybe you can rent it locally too.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension rebuild   Rear suspension rebuild Icon_minitimeSat May 13, 2017 11:32 am

""replace the coil spring isolators.""

Use poly material rings. The stock rubber ones only last a few thousand miles.
Back to top Go down
Haze5736

PostSubject: Finally getting around to this   Rear suspension rebuild Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2018 2:02 pm

I'm finally getting around to tackling the rear suspension.

Is this a recommended or acceptable kit for a 96 RMW? I will probably add a sway bar at some point but not right away.

Southside MAchine - BFK-P Rear Control Arm Kit GM B Body 1978-1996 with Poly Lower Bushings

I believe I also need bushings for the axle housing ears. Southside Machine has an option with the above kit to add Poly Housing Bushing Set. Are these acceptable or should I look elsewhere?

Last question. What is the name of the tool I will need for the upper bushings?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension rebuild   Rear suspension rebuild Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2018 8:51 pm

The tool for the bushings in the axle housing ears, a BFH to remove, and a large pipe the size of the flat around the poly and BFH to install.
Back to top Go down
Haze5736

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension rebuild   Rear suspension rebuild Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2018 3:00 pm

I just read through all the rear suspension posts I could find on this forum. If I understand correctly, I should only replace the lower arms with aftermarket and keep the upper arms stock. Having to do with concerns over binding.

So I will replace the lowers with aftermarket and replace the bushings in the upper arms. I'm a little confused about the upper bushings. The GM parts diagrams I find online only show the bushing that goes into the axle housing, part# 10000952.

Rockauto shows ACDELCO 45G11014 {#88912761, 88913176} for rear lower or rear upper forward. And ACDELCO 45G11023 {#88912770} for rear upper rearward. Are these correct? And I would need 2 of each to complete the bushing replacement on the uppers?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension rebuild   Rear suspension rebuild Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2018 10:31 pm

You need two bushings for each arm for a total of eight. If the lower arms are being replaced, you need a total of four for the upper arms. The ends have different bushing. The bushings for the upper arms are a PITA to install, unless you have a hydraulic press. You also must put a spacer between the sides, or you will bend the arms. The bushing is pressed into both sides of the arm.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension rebuild   Rear suspension rebuild Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2018 12:00 pm

Haze5736 wrote:
I'm finally getting around to tackling the rear suspension.

Is this a recommended or acceptable kit for a 96 RMW? I will probably add a sway bar at some point but not right away.

Southside MAchine - BFK-P Rear Control Arm Kit GM B Body 1978-1996 with Poly Lower Bushings

I believe I also need bushings for the axle housing ears. Southside Machine has an option with the above kit to add Poly Housing Bushing Set. Are these acceptable or should I look elsewhere?

Last question. What is the name of the tool I will need for the upper bushings?

Thanks.
I have found there stuff to be top notch.
Back to top Go down
rauldelp

rauldelp

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension rebuild   Rear suspension rebuild Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2018 4:14 pm

I'm running the Southside machine lower arms and they fit perfect. I did have to space the Hotchkiss rear sway bar with a few washers so it could clear the bushings themselves, say 3/8 or 1/2 an inch. Made such a difference.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear suspension rebuild   Rear suspension rebuild Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear suspension rebuild
Page 1 of 1