GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders?

Go down 
+2
Cadet57
sandalboy692
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sandalboy692

Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders? Empty
PostSubject: Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders?   Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 8:40 pm

I was getting tired of grabbing our regular windshield mount transponder and holding outside everytime we drove a toll road. The Roadmaster is one of the few vehicles out there that the windshield mounted units will not work. I have found this to be true. Finally I remembered to order a bumper mounted unit after our last road trip. I guess that they are rare since they don't offer them on their website or vending machines. They are only available by phone call.

Anyway, I got it today and it is not an ideal solution. It's big, and if mounted as the instructions state, will be broken in short order. It is supposed to be mounted at the top of the front license plate, which makes it stick out about a full inch further than any other part of the car. Even if my wife and me are very careful, I'm sure that someone else is going to whack it when parallel parking or pulling in too far in an opposing parking spot. There are lots of ugly ways that I can think of mounting it, like on the top of the bumper or hood. It looks like there is an area at the base of the windshield where it might not interfere with the wipers if attached with double sided foam trim tape. This spot might be the least ugly and least vulnerable.

Anyone have any luck with this?
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders?   Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 8:43 pm

I've heard the guys with the Sungate problem on the roadmasters have mounted them to the vista roof with success.
Back to top Go down
sandalboy692

PostSubject: Re: Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders?   Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 8:48 pm

Do you mean the regular tranponder inside the window or the bumper one on the outside? Either way sounds like a good idea if my roof rack stuff doesn't cover it. I often have kayaks and or cargo boxes up there. Does the vista roof have the same sungate glass? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders?   Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 8:49 pm

Regular EzPass. Mounted to the inside of the vista roof.
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders?   Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 9:08 pm

Yeah, you could mount the regular transponder inside the vista roof as mentioned.

Or, you could wire tie it to the wiper cowl where it will pretty much disappear and blend in. I had mine mounted there on my Impala, Caprice Wagon, and Roadie wagon for a while. You could also wire tie it behind the grille.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders?   Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 9:14 pm

DO NOT follow their instructions and mount your transponder to the front of the bumper. You WILL crush it, and then it WON'T work, and EZ Pass will happily charge you the $30+ for a new one, despite you providing them a transponder you found in the junkyard. I speak from experience.

I have mine mounted to the passenger side windshield wiper. It works about 75% of the time. I have heard of people mounting it to the inside of an Impala grill too

Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders?   Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 9:17 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
It works about 75% of the time.

Idk about you, but the $25 ticket every time it doesnt work would be enough of a reason to find a solution that works 100% of the time for me Wink
Back to top Go down
Skipper

Skipper

PostSubject: Re: Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders?   Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 8:30 am

I had the same problem with the Sungate window in my Impala. When I received the bumper transponder I quickly decided I did not want that thing mounted to my front bumper. I made two small metal brackets (approx. 1 1/2" x 1/2 " with holes drilled in each end for mounting screws) length may vary. I then mounted the transponder behind the grill using the existing grill mounting holes. Worked perfect and the transponder was well hidden.
Back to top Go down
sandalboy692

PostSubject: Re: Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders?   Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 10:59 am

I love the idea of concealing behind the grille. Will it work through a RMW grille though? The Impala looks like it is more open.
Back to top Go down
Skipper

Skipper

PostSubject: Re: Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders?   Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 1:04 pm

The buick grill actually seems to a little more open. I don't believe you will have problem.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders?   Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
sherlock9c1 wrote:

Idk about you, but the $25 ticket every time it doesnt work would be enough of a reason to find a solution that works 100% of the time for me Wink
It isn't a ticket - you just have to call every 2 months or so and tell them to remove all of those charges.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders?   Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 1:44 pm

sherlock9c1 wrote:
Cadet57 wrote:
sherlock9c1 wrote:

It isn't a ticket - you just have to call every 2 months or so and tell them to remove all of those charges.

Not in MA. Every time you go thru and the transponder doesn't register/ go thru without one. You plate gets photographed and you are sent a $25 ticket. And the state makes it verrrrrry hard to get out of them. Even if you have a valid transponder.
Back to top Go down
mcfiddles

PostSubject: You may be worrying too much....   Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 4:59 pm

I've had mine on the top of my licence plate for about three years. Perhaps ours in Kansas (K-Tag) are built a bit more solidly, but I have 100% recognition and no problems at all......
Simon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders?   Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where are others mounting their EZ Pass transponders?
Page 1 of 1