GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

FSM - Fuel pressure regulator

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Haze5736

FSM - Fuel pressure regulator Empty
PostSubject: FSM - Fuel pressure regulator   FSM - Fuel pressure regulator Icon_minitimeFri Jun 09, 2017 3:16 pm

I can't find anything in the FMS about the fuel pressure regulator. I would expect to see it in the Engine Fuel section. I know it's not a difficult repair but I like to see what the FSM says. Is it somewhere else or am I overlooking it?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: FSM - Fuel pressure regulator   FSM - Fuel pressure regulator Icon_minitimeMon Jun 12, 2017 12:36 pm

I had to replace mine on the '96, it's on the back of the intake, facing the firewall. Kinda hard to get at...I ended-up putting a blanket on the motor and laying on the engine! Ha!

My car would crank a lot, sputter, and finally start when cold. Once warm, you could shut it off and it would fire right back up again, no issues, but let it sit for a few hours and it would hard start/sputter again. You could also smell gas.

I replaced the regulator in 2015. Starts perfect since!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Haze5736

PostSubject: Re: FSM - Fuel pressure regulator   FSM - Fuel pressure regulator Icon_minitimeTue Jun 13, 2017 4:56 am

I watched your video and my symptoms are identical. I can't wait to get in there and replace it.

I'm on a tight schedule to get this and the rest of the work done before the July 4th holiday. We decided to take our first road trip in the wagon that week. We'll be in your neck of the woods, sort of. We're heading to Spur. I've never been to Texas. The cold upstate NY winters are starting to wear on my wife and I. So we're starting to visit warm places in hopes to find a good place to retire some day. We're also hoping to escape the high cost of living. It would also be nice to live in a place where cars don't begin rotting within 5 years.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: FSM - Fuel pressure regulator   FSM - Fuel pressure regulator Icon_minitimeTue Jun 13, 2017 10:08 am

atlantadan wrote:
The easiest way to do it is to pull the rail off the intake. 4 bolts, then use the proper tool to disconnect the fuel lines. Then wiggle and wrestle the injectors free of the intake. Once they let-go, you've got the rail, injectors, and FPR in your hands and you can work on it on the bench. Pro-tip - the rail will be full of fuel, so try not to dump it anywhere you don't intend to.

You can change it out without lifting the rail but it's a bit more challenging.  If you do lift the rail do yourself a favor and replace your injector o-rings.  Felpro makes them, they are quite cheap.
If you can afford the downtime, send in your injectors to get bench-tested and cleaned/repaired. There are a few good services out there.

Last edited by jasonlachapelle on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: FSM - Fuel pressure regulator   FSM - Fuel pressure regulator Icon_minitimeTue Jun 13, 2017 10:15 am

When I did it, I was at my heaviest weight (305-pounds). If a whale can change it on the car, I'm sure you can as well. It was not THAT hard, just had to think it through and used a wobble...and laid on a blanket on the motor.

I always worry about what is going to leak, or be brittle and break from age, so I try personally to remove as little as needed when I do repairs. Wink

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: FSM - Fuel pressure regulator   FSM - Fuel pressure regulator Icon_minitimeTue Jun 13, 2017 11:10 am

Haze5736 wrote:
I watched your video and my symptoms are identical. I can't wait to get in there and replace it.

I'm on a tight schedule to get this and the rest of the work done before the July 4th holiday. We decided to take our first road trip in the wagon that week. We'll be in your neck of the woods, sort of. We're heading to Spur. I've never been to Texas. The cold upstate NY winters are starting to wear on my wife and I. So we're starting to visit warm places in hopes to find a good place to retire some day. We're also hoping to escape the high cost of living. It would also be nice to live in a place where cars don't begin rotting within 5 years.

Well Spur is over six hours from me, a long way...it's a huge state. Please don't judge my state by Spur. Not to badmouth it if you have family there, but my main memories of that part of the state are big dust storms, cow stock yards, tornadoes, snakes, oil wells, with extreme heat in the summer and cold/blizzards in the winters. There are some nice bluffs near town, but most are on private lands. I was born in Plainview, which is about 70-miles from Spur. It's a great place to leave....

If you want to take a road trip and see the NICER parts of Texas, places that would be wonderful to retire, I would recommend the Texas Hill Country to the north and west of Austin and San Antonio:

FSM - Fuel pressure regulator Map

Let Google do the work for you. Look up Enchanted Rock, Fredericksburg, Kerrville, Marble Falls, Lost Maples State Park, The Three Sisters Roads, near Leakey, Vanderpool, Utopia and Concan. Look up The Willow City Loop, Luckenbach, and Horseshoe Bay.

The hill country has trees, awesome vistas, great low-humidity weather, gorgeous twisting lakes, clear streams and rives (tubing on the Guadalupe and Frio rivers is awesome in the summers), and great roads. It's also all withing 1-2 hours of Austin and San Antonio, with all those cities have to offer, and an easy drive to the Gulf of Mexico, with Corpus Christi/North Padre Island 4-5 hours away and South Padre about 2-hours further.

On the edge of the Hill Country between Austin and San Antonio, there are the towns of San Marcos and New Braunfels, and just north of San Antonio there is Boerne and Comfort. Those are all REALLY nice placed to retire, where you are in a smaller town but not way out in the country. Again, it all depends on what you want.

If you have family in North Texas, a good alternative to Google is the Glen Rose area to the southwest of Fort Worth. It's like a bit of the Hill Country broke off and floated north. Very pretty hills, trees, streams, and you are not too far from Dallas/Ft. Worth and all they offer.

North of Houston is the Piney Woods, where many folks also retire, which are also very pretty, but you lose some of that big sky that you get in the Hill Country, and I like the hills better than the flats. That area of Texas is also humid all summer, which I hate. Don't have that problem in the Hill Country.

But again, please don't judge Texas by Spur, or that part of my state.

-Mike

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: FSM - Fuel pressure regulator   FSM - Fuel pressure regulator Icon_minitimeTue Jun 13, 2017 11:20 am

Haze5736 wrote:

One more thing regarding you road trip....it will be hot. Most-likely...really stupid hot. We put up with four months of furnace-heat for 8-months of mostly outstanding comfortable weather....well here in South-Central Texas we do. Spur is so far north it tends to be either SUMMER or WINTER...there is not a lot of variance up there, and you are coming at almost the hottest time of the year.

I tell most folks the time to visit us down here is mid-Sept to mid-Nov and then again Feb-May. We do get the occasional "blue-norther" in late-November to mid-February, when the temps can got from the 70's to the 20's in a matter of hours, and that cold lasts for a day or two, but then the winds change and push all that crap back north. In December and January here it can be in the 80's or the 30's, depending on how the wind blow. Up in Spur, it's winter a lot more of the time.

ANYWAY make sure you A/C is working. Safe Travels!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Haze5736

PostSubject: Re: FSM - Fuel pressure regulator   FSM - Fuel pressure regulator Icon_minitimeTue Jun 13, 2017 1:41 pm

81X11 wrote:
Haze5736 wrote:

Well Spur is over six hours from me, a long way...it's a huge state.   Please don't judge my state by Spur.   Not to badmouth it if you have family there, but my main memories of that part of the state are big dust storms, cow stock yards, tornadoes, snakes, oil wells, with extreme heat in the summer and cold/blizzards in the winters.   There are some nice bluffs near town, but most are on private lands.   I was born in Plainview, which is about 70-miles from Spur.   It's a great place to leave....

That's pretty much the picture we painted from what we've found on the web. But we're curious and it can't hurt to see it to rule it out. This will be the first of many exploratory trips as we still have a lot of years before retirement. As a kid I traveled up and down the east coast with my parents, but never made it very far west of the 95 corridor. We'll be spending most of this trip in Kentucky camping in one of the state forests.

Thanks for the tips on places to visit for future trips. Texas is huge so I'm sure we'll be making many trips. We definitely prefer low humidity areas. We also want to see what places are like at their hottest. We know what extreme cold is like so we want to understand the extreme opposite as well.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: FSM - Fuel pressure regulator   FSM - Fuel pressure regulator Icon_minitimeTue Jun 13, 2017 1:56 pm

Haze5736 wrote:
81X11 wrote:
Haze5736 wrote:

Well Spur is over six hours from me, a long way...it's a huge state.   Please don't judge my state by Spur.   Not to badmouth it if you have family there, but my main memories of that part of the state are big dust storms, cow stock yards, tornadoes, snakes, oil wells, with extreme heat in the summer and cold/blizzards in the winters.   There are some nice bluffs near town, but most are on private lands.   I was born in Plainview, which is about 70-miles from Spur.   It's a great place to leave....

That's pretty much the picture we painted from what we've found on the web. But we're curious and it can't hurt to see it to rule it out. This will be the first of many exploratory trips as we still have a lot of years before retirement. As a kid I traveled up and down the east coast with my parents, but never made it very far west of the 95 corridor. We'll be spending most of this trip in Kentucky camping in one of the state forests.

Thanks for the tips on places to visit for future trips. Texas is huge so I'm sure we'll be making many trips. We definitely prefer low humidity areas. We also want to see what places are like at their hottest. We know what extreme cold is like so we want to understand the extreme opposite as well.

If I were you, I'd stay in Kentucky until you can visit the nicer parts of Texas.  Wink   There is just a lot of "nothing" where you are planning to go, but have fun regardless.   ANY road trip is better than being at work!

Here is a link where you can get a free Texas Travel Guide book mailed to you. www.traveltexas.com/travel-guide  .    These are great, we get a new one every year.  They give information and things-to-see for every single town in Texas, including lodging, food, parks, museums, festivals and points of interest.   Great for trips or just looking reading in general.
Back to top Go down
Haze5736

PostSubject: Re: FSM - Fuel pressure regulator   FSM - Fuel pressure regulator Icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2017 5:18 pm

[quote="81X11"][quote="Haze5736"][quote="81X11"]
Haze5736 wrote:

Here is a link where you can get a free Texas Travel Guide book mailed to you.  www.traveltexas.com/travel-guide   .    These are great, we get a new one every year.  They give information and things-to-see for every single town in Texas, including lodging, food, parks, museums, festivals and points of interest.   Great for trips or just looking reading in general.

Thanks for the tips. I ordered my travel guide. We did cancel our visit to Texas since the a/c does not seem to be performing properly. We'll plan something in the future. This weekend was the first I've been able to drive the car any distance and the a/c is a showstopper for me. I don't mind the heat but not while driving or sleeping. The suspension, fuel pump and regulator work payed off though. The car drove and handled great. Of course handling great in a Roadmaster is a relative term, but an incredible improvement from what I started with. I am very thankful for all the help I've gotten through this forum so far. Happy Father's day to all the dads out there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FSM - Fuel pressure regulator   FSM - Fuel pressure regulator Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FSM - Fuel pressure regulator
Page 1 of 1