HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Another Window Roller - Slider Repair Thread - Pics and Link

Go down 
AuthorMessage
81X11

PostSubject: Another Window Roller - Slider Repair Thread - Pics and Link   Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:05 am

Buick Roadmaster Window Roller Repair...again. So if you own a 91-96 Roadmaster, Caprice, Impala SS, Olds Custom Cruiser or Cadillac Fleetwood, you will be doing this...or have already done this. I LOVE my car, and they are tough, with the exception of the crappy crack-prone, trim-falling-off door panels, and the brittle plastic oval roller/sliders GM used on the window tracks.

The fix for the door panels is to NEVER EVER EVER slam the doors(and keep Epoxy in stock in your garage), and thankfully the fix for the slider/rollers is the updated round rollers you can get from HELP.

Over the years I've updated all the sliders in the front doors, and most in the rear doors. I had one slider break in the left/rear door over the holidays, and should have replaced both then, but only did one and lubed the others. Well the other one broke last weekend when putting the window up. Doh! So decided to do an album that MIGHT help others when this happens.

I know others may repair differently, but here's how I do this repair.  I replaced this last Friday after work, and did a step-by-step Public Facebook Photo Album with a lot of pics and a short video.   Link Here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10213232728923468.1073742228.1553678810&type=3

Sorry for the Facebook links, but it's just much easier and faster to create Albums there, and I make them all public, so even if you are not a Facebook person, you can access the Albums.

Take Care All!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Another Window Roller - Slider Repair Thread - Pics and Link   Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:19 pm

The sad thing is the sliders were meant as an "update" to the round rollers. The sliders are found in the later B-Bodys. It appears that from whatever material the sliders were made, it was not compatible with the lube used at the factory.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Another Window Roller - Slider Repair Thread - Pics and Link   Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:07 pm

Says u have to log in first
Stupid facebook
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Another Window Roller - Slider Repair Thread - Pics and Link   Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:40 pm

Rev Bob wrote:
The sad thing is the sliders were meant as an "update" to the round rollers. The sliders are found in the later B-Bodys.  It appears that from whatever material the sliders were made, it was not compatible with the lube used at the factory.  

I believe the design is flawed. The installation stresses are focused on the top and bottom of the hole, and crack them at those points. The sliders are OEM on all years from 91 on. My 91 had them.
Back to top Go down
Brandt51

PostSubject: Re: Another Window Roller - Slider Repair Thread - Pics and Link   Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:19 pm

Dude, this was great, thanks. I'm going to fix mine up. Similar on the fronts?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Another Window Roller - Slider Repair Thread - Pics and Link   Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:59 pm

The fronts and rears are basically the same design.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Window Roller - Slider Repair Thread - Pics and Link   

Back to top Go down

Another Window Roller - Slider Repair Thread - Pics and Link
Page 1 of 1