GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What is running?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
4oldcars

4oldcars

What is running? Empty
PostSubject: What is running?   What is running? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 1:31 pm

When I turned my 96 RMW off all was well. Then something started running. Front drivers fender well down below the air filter, accessible from below/underside. Compressor? It was off when I turned the key off. Then it started and now it runs until I disconnect the battery. This happened once before, I disconnected the battery and when I re-connected the battery all was well. This time it comes on when I re-connect the battery. What is this? Why does it have power when the key is off? What is wrong here? If I cut the wire, what am I loosing? I'm sure GM didn't just put some extra part in my car.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

What is running? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is running?   What is running? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 1:58 pm

Sounds like air ride compressor. You don't want to cut the wire, just unplug it. You most likely have a leak someplace, causing the compressor to run. It does not need the key on to run.

Tom
Back to top Go down
4oldcars

4oldcars

What is running? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is running?   What is running? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanx - guess I'll unplug it and look for the leak. Would this work just the rear or all four? Anyone know?
Back to top Go down
TheRoadmasterKing

What is running? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is running?   What is running? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 2:20 pm

silverfox103 wrote:
It does not need the key on to run.

That reminds me of the Oldsmobile we used to have. It had factory air auto-leveling and we'd have to disconnect the battery in winter time because the snow piling on the roof of the car was enough to trigger the compressor and keep it running a lot.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

What is running? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is running?   What is running? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 2:48 pm

""Would this work just the rear or all four?""

Just the rear.
Back to top Go down
TheRoadmasterKing

What is running? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is running?   What is running? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 3:02 pm

Rev Bob, since it's semi-on-topic I have a quick question about all of this.

Is it possible to wire an aftermarket air-ride controller to the factory compressor?
Like one of these:
What is running? 9k=

Has it / can it be / been done?
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

What is running? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is running?   What is running? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2017 6:42 am

""can it be""

Most of these controllers are four channel, so you would need to add fill/bleed solenoids to control each rear shock. Using a four channel for Auto-Level seems like overkill.

The factory compressor is a simple 12 volt pump, so interfacing would just be a matter of identifying the correct wires. Many of these systems require some sort of air reservoir (tank).
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

What is running? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is running?   What is running? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2017 7:50 am

Usually the shocks leak causing the car to settle, and trigger the compressor. Look at the rear shocks first. The exact replacement shocks are not available, but the air shocks that are available can be adapted to fit the lines.
Back to top Go down
4oldcars

4oldcars

What is running? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is running?   What is running? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2017 10:04 am

Thanx Fred. I was hoping you'd chime in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What is running? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is running?   What is running? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is running?
Page 1 of 1