HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Adding guages solutions

Go down 
AuthorMessage
lamune

PostSubject: Adding guages solutions   Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:47 am

Although not high-priority I do want to add a voltmeter and oil pressure gauge to my car. Maybe a tach too, just because.

I've tried mocking up a few possible solutions with other GM dash clusters, but I don't think that's a viable option except for the F-body cluster which I don't really want to go with.

Since the dashboard top has more land area than many small countries, I'd really envision some sort of dashtop pod that could hold some gauges. Looking around though, they all look pretty crappy to me.

The other option that's certainly a known quantity would be to use the Impala/Caprice A-pillar gauge pod, which probably is the path of least resistance.

I'm curious if any of you have installed gauges (aside from the F-body cluster swap) and how it worked out, and of course how nice it looks.
Back to top Go down
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Adding guages solutions   Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:44 am

The prior owner of LROM for July 2017, now my 1996 RMW was gauge-crazy.  They were stuck on the steering column, in the ashtray, under the dash, you name it.  I kept the oil temperature and voltmeter gauges on the A-pillar. I yanked out the rest. None of them were in a location where your eyes should be while the car was in motion.

Back to top Go down
lamune

PostSubject: Re: Adding guages solutions   Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:47 pm

The A-pillar solution doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought. (when painted)

The column is an interesting location that I hadn't thought of. Dmg4 - any pictures of what that looked like? a small oil pressure and voltmeter there would probably do the trick.

dan - I didn't realize the 95 Caprice had a digital dash with a full gauge set. That's an interesting option and it might fit more easily in a Roadmaster than the other things I've been pulling from the junkyard.

Anyone here put a Caprice digi-dash in their Roadmaster? Anyone selling one I can try (even if it's busted, at least to check physical fit)
Back to top Go down
81X11

PostSubject: Re: Adding guages solutions   Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:23 pm

dmg4 wrote:
The prior owner of LROM for July 2017, now my 1996 RMW was gauge-crazy.  They were stuck on the steering column, in the ashtray, under the dash, you name it.  I kept the oil temperature and voltmeter gauges on the A-pillar.  I yanked out the rest.  None of them were in a location where your eyes should be while the car was in motion.

Are you able to turn those gauges in the pod so they sit upright? Just looking at your pic, the install is clean enough but with them not being straight my OCD went crazy. Wink
Back to top Go down
81X11

PostSubject: Re: Adding guages solutions   Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:25 pm

As for the topic here, may I make a suggestion? Wink

-Mike
Back to top Go down
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Adding guages solutions   Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:26 pm

They look fine to me.

Back to top Go down
81X11

PostSubject: Re: Adding guages solutions   Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:29 pm

[quote=They look fine to me.]

Makes my brain hurt....
Back to top Go down
lamune

PostSubject: Re: Adding guages solutions   Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:04 am

I've got a Camaro gauge cluster here if anyone wants to buy it off me and have it converted over.

I mocked it up, and I'm not sure what it is, but it's not doing it for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adding guages solutions   

Back to top Go down

Adding guages solutions
Page 1 of 1