GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wood application, progress and questions...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Studebricker

Studebricker

Wood application, progress and questions... Empty
PostSubject: Wood application, progress and questions...   Wood application, progress and questions... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2017 4:41 pm

Hey guys, I've been off the forum due to working on my other car issues, and now I'm finally back to working on the Roady. The only thing I've done on the car is had new exhaust put on, decluttered the engine intake, and pulled all my old wood and trim off.

My plan is to change my tan wood to black wood, so I need to paint black, the areas around the door handles, gas door and license plate area. The first issue I have is removing the rear hatch trim plate, not sure what you call it.... where the button and rear light is. I removed the screws up where the light is, but it didn't want to come loose. It looks like you have to detach it from the inside of the door, but before I start removing the rear hatch interior panel, I wanted to confirm that is correct. It just seems like it would have been easier to just have it screw on from the outside???

Anyway, assuming that is the correct step, and the trim is not just stuck to the rubber gasket, I will then mask off my door handles and paint around them, as well as the gas door, before moving on to applying the new wood.

Looking forward to the new look. Please let me know if there are any tips or tricks you guys have learned while doing this, as this will be my first stab at it.....
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

PostSubject: Re: Wood application, progress and questions...   Wood application, progress and questions... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2017 5:54 pm

That license plate light panel has (3) 10mm nuts holding it on. you need to pull off the interior panel
Back to top Go down
Studebricker

Studebricker

PostSubject: Re: Wood application, progress and questions...   Wood application, progress and questions... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 10, 2017 8:24 pm

Thank you, sir! Just wanted to be sure before pulling things off...
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Wood application, progress and questions...   Wood application, progress and questions... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 11, 2017 9:10 am

Polishing the upper trim would make it stand out. You may want to address the plastic ends of the upper trim at the door gaps. If you polish the trim, you can get "chrome" paint for the plastic parts.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Wood application, progress and questions...   Wood application, progress and questions... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 11, 2017 10:32 am

Post images of the new "wood" when you can.
Back to top Go down
Eds rmw

PostSubject: Re: Wood application, progress and questions...   Wood application, progress and questions... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 7:41 pm

I'm doing the same. Still have some adhesive residue from the vinyl. Whats the best 
Thing to remove it with ? Lacquer thinner, and other things don't seem to work. 
Any ideas ?

Ed
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Wood application, progress and questions...   Wood application, progress and questions... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 7:57 pm

Heat softens it, and decal remover should dissolve it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wood application, progress and questions...   Wood application, progress and questions... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wood application, progress and questions...
Page 1 of 1