GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Factory Auto Air Ride/Shocks with Bell Tech Lowing Springs...Will It Work?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Brandt51

Brandt51

Factory Auto Air Ride/Shocks with Bell Tech Lowing Springs...Will It Work? Empty
PostSubject: Factory Auto Air Ride/Shocks with Bell Tech Lowing Springs...Will It Work?   Factory Auto Air Ride/Shocks with Bell Tech Lowing Springs...Will It Work? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 25, 2017 10:24 pm

Hello,

How does the factory auto level system and air shocks work with lowering springs on Roadmaster Wagons. Doable? Or if you lower the rear you need to ditch the factory air ride?

Currently the auto air ride is disconnected, but I was replacing the air shocks and lines and hoped the sensor was good. I'm thinking of putting the Bell Tech springs on to lower the stance a bit.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

Factory Auto Air Ride/Shocks with Bell Tech Lowing Springs...Will It Work? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Factory Auto Air Ride/Shocks with Bell Tech Lowing Springs...Will It Work?   Factory Auto Air Ride/Shocks with Bell Tech Lowing Springs...Will It Work? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 25, 2017 10:45 pm

All you would have to do is re-adjust the level sensor to the new static ride height. Located on the passenger side rear axle housing.

Bill
Back to top Go down
Brandt51

Brandt51

PostSubject: Re: Factory Auto Air Ride/Shocks with Bell Tech Lowing Springs...Will It Work?   Factory Auto Air Ride/Shocks with Bell Tech Lowing Springs...Will It Work? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 25, 2017 10:47 pm

convert2diesel wrote:
All you would have to do is re-adjust the level sensor to the new static ride height.  Located on the passenger side rear axle housing.

Bill

Thanks, I was going to pull the trigger, but the picture on Amazon was misleading showing 4 springs for just the rear kit. Now I got something to think about...
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Factory Auto Air Ride/Shocks with Bell Tech Lowing Springs...Will It Work?   Factory Auto Air Ride/Shocks with Bell Tech Lowing Springs...Will It Work? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 26, 2017 10:57 pm

If you put lowering springs in the back, you will probably need to weld a 3 inch piece of exhaust pipe to the upper spring perch to keep the springs from falling out when jacking to change a tire. You can also tiewrap the spring to the lower perch as well.
Back to top Go down
Brandt51

Brandt51

PostSubject: Re: Factory Auto Air Ride/Shocks with Bell Tech Lowing Springs...Will It Work?   Factory Auto Air Ride/Shocks with Bell Tech Lowing Springs...Will It Work? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2018 7:47 pm

Sooo, I bought Impala SS springs. I like their stance on the sedan, I'm hoping to match it with the wagon. I think I'll probably pull the air shocks that I have (Monroe) and install some AC Delcos that are sitting on a shelf. I might look into aftermarket airbags depending on how it turns out. Looking forward to it.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Factory Auto Air Ride/Shocks with Bell Tech Lowing Springs...Will It Work?   Factory Auto Air Ride/Shocks with Bell Tech Lowing Springs...Will It Work? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2018 8:16 pm

Make sure the rear shocks are the same length as stock, otherwise you will not be able to get the wheel out from under the fender. You can use shorter ones on the front. If you want more front suspension travel, you can cut the tapered top off of the bump stop. Remove a .030 (1/32 inch) shim from each of the front shim stacks for each 1/2 inch of drop you achieve (measured from the wheel opening to the top of the rim to avoid tire inflation/size errors), or you will have negative camber enough to cause adverse tire wear.
Back to top Go down
Brandt51

Brandt51

PostSubject: Re: Factory Auto Air Ride/Shocks with Bell Tech Lowing Springs...Will It Work?   Factory Auto Air Ride/Shocks with Bell Tech Lowing Springs...Will It Work? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2018 3:08 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
Make sure the rear shocks are the same length as stock, otherwise you will not be able to get the wheel out from under the fender. You can use shorter ones on the front. If you want more front suspension travel, you can cut the tapered top off of the bump stop. Remove a .030 (1/32 inch) shim from each of the front shim stacks for each 1/2 inch of drop you achieve (measured from the wheel opening to the top of the rim to avoid tire inflation/size errors), or you will have negative camber enough to cause adverse tire wear.

Great info. Thanks. I'm using Monroe MA717 air shocks on the back, but might put conventional shocks on, I got some AC Delco 530-2s sitting on a shelf that would match the 530-9s in the front. They're all stock replacements for Buicks and Impala.
Back to top Go down
Brandt51

Brandt51

PostSubject: Re: Factory Auto Air Ride/Shocks with Bell Tech Lowing Springs...Will It Work?   Factory Auto Air Ride/Shocks with Bell Tech Lowing Springs...Will It Work? Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2018 2:43 am

I got some OEM Impala SS springs to install. They're just a little shorter and should lower and make the car look just the way I'd like. If the air shocks don't work out, I'm going to swap in the conventional ones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Factory Auto Air Ride/Shocks with Bell Tech Lowing Springs...Will It Work?   Factory Auto Air Ride/Shocks with Bell Tech Lowing Springs...Will It Work? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Factory Auto Air Ride/Shocks with Bell Tech Lowing Springs...Will It Work?
Page 1 of 1