HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Oil change on the sedan and I found...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
3TONFUN

PostSubject: Oil change on the sedan and I found...   Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:41 pm

...my mysterious rattle from the front end. I've been into this thing a couple times with no cause found. Well, while I was under the car last night I spotted something in the right lower spring cup of the control arm. The spring broke! Now I've been doing this car stuff a long time and have never seen this before. Guess it's time to replace the whole set. May as well lower it while I'm at it.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Oil change on the sedan and I found...   Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:20 am

When you lower the front, for every 1/2 inch that you lower it, you must remove 1/32 of an inch shim from each stack. Measure the side with the good spring before you put the drop springs in it, then after for the drop. Always measure from the fender lip to the top of the rim, and write it down.

When you jack the car to change rear tires, the rear springs will fall out unless you weld a piece of exhaust tubing to the upper spring perch. About 3 inches should be sufficient. You can also tiewrap the spring to the lower perch.
Back to top Go down
3TONFUN

PostSubject: Re: Oil change on the sedan and I found...   Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:50 am

Almost every car I've had has been lowered. I've had 2 lowered Caprices, a super slammed '65 Caddy, several trucks, hot rods, etc. I know what I'm up against.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil change on the sedan and I found...   

Back to top Go down

Oil change on the sedan and I found...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1