HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Headlight Opinions?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Gerome

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:08 pm

Definitely looks brighter . Have you driven with them at night and what is your impression of them ?
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:54 pm

be carefull pat there is a cop pulling up next to u
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
buickestate

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:45 pm

can't take her out for a drive tonight,

the low beams

the high beams

John that's not a cop anymore, it's my retired 2010 impala police interceptor winter beater/daily

Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:57 pm

thats the rare ford i mean impala interceptor
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:19 am

Quetzalcoatl wrote:
This is my story... i've bi-xenon (2 complete HID kits) on my previous car... also notice that FIAT Marea headlight are very low on light efficiency, so HID conversion is a must... but the headlight has 2 separate lenses for high and low beam, and with high beam all the 4 lights are on... so, now my poor little (LOL) RMW has VERY poor headlights. As one bulb has gone, i decided to buy a LED kit (more simple to install to HID and don't require a warm up time to make light) and i've bought a kit similar to this:
http://www.ebay.it/itm/H7-9005-9006-H11-H4-9004-9007-H13-6000K-White-Light-Bulbs-CREE-LED-Headlight-Kit-/162098672568?hash=item25bdd573b8:g:QOAAAOSwLnBXWXiE
i's a fanless kit and the aluminium belts work as heatsinks.
But i think they are out of focus. I mean, the LED position in the headlight lense is wrong.
With low beam, i have a straight, narrow and long bright zone, while with high beam i have an awful "ring" of light, that will go on the floor and on the sky, but with a "black hole" in the middle.
I've also tried to turn the bulbs but they're in the correct position, with low beam on the high side and high beam on the low side.
Now i don't know if it's better to buy the clean aftermarket Caprice/Impala headlights, or try to customise BMW E36 ones.
All LEDs should be on when you have the high beams on. The low beams should fill the hole in the high beams.
Back to top Go down
81X11

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:45 am

After running the LEDs on my wagon for a while, here is how I feel.   I did as many people said and installed the high beam LED pointing straight down, with the two low-beam LEDs at 10-11 and 1-2ish positions.   This for-sure works best in my Roadmaster Wagon.  

-The low-beam:  The low beam is very bright when looking at the car from the front, but I think more of a function of the headlight housing design itself that was not meant for LEDs, the view from the driver's seat is kind of a white "fog" of light, not a defined "beam" of light.    Considering how dim the standard headlights are, this is not really a downgrade, but it's not a huge upgrade when driving in the city....on roads with streetlights, bright highways and in town, where the headlights are not...sharply defined.  You don't really SEE your headlight beams under streetlights and such with these.  HOWEVER on a dark back road, the low-beams are much better..not like the two flashlights before, but the entire road and the SIDES of the road are lit up in a white "fog of light".   It's almost spooky.   

-The high-beam:  The high beam is disappointing.   There is not a big change when the high beam is on.   It does light up more of the road directly in front of the bumper, and the "fog of light" may be brighter, but I don't see the major change from low-to-high like I did with standard bulbs.

Concerns:

- First, I worry that I'm blinding other drivers.   I've aimed the lights as best I can against my garage door, but still, standing in front of the car, even well in front, these things look SOO bright.   I don't want to be an a-hole to other drivers (one of my pet-peeves is seeing idiots that run their fog lights all the time..or worse, not dimming their high beams to oncoming traffic...I am not that guy!).   I worry that others will think I'm driving with my high-beams on.

- Second...longevity.   I do believe you "get what you pay for", and while these things have DETAILED aluminum housings and appear very well made, I worry that for the less-than-$20 I paid for them, that they won't live long, especially considering they have little fans that run whenever the lights are on...   It's odd to get out of my Roadmaster with the Twilight Sentinel on and hear the headlights whirring away with the engine off.  And considering Sentinel is very sensitive, my headlights come on under bridges and way before dim dusk, they headlights are on a lot when I drive this car.   Moving parts...fail.   And as cheap as these bulbs were, this concerns me.

My Roadmaster is retired from daily use, and is not driven in rain.   It's a weekend toy these days.   I would be more concerned with all the above if this car was my daily driver, especially if I lived somewhere up north where you deal with more gloomy weather and dampness all the time.   I don't know how these will last in constant use, especially if soaked in water or freezing salt slush.  Happily....I won't be finding that out myself.  

SO do I like them? Well...they're different. Driving the 40-miles home through pit-dark twisting back roads in the Texas Hill Country from Marble Falls to Round Rock a few weekends ago, I was AMAZED at how these lit the road and woods on both sides, so that I DO like.

Honestly, the biggest shock is how these things light up reflective signs....in that they light up signs a way-Way-WAY down the road!   I can see road signs over a mile a way at night, and the headlights even lit up the reflectors on the fully-up railroad crossbars through an intersection and at least a 1/2 mile away when I was waiting at a light.   It's WILD!    

I have gotten compliments on how they look when on at the car meets.   They do LOOK neat.

So that's my thoughts so far!

-Texas Mike

Back to top Go down
3TONFUN

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:16 am

I've been dragging my feet getting a pair for my sedan. Love them in my wagon though. I really REALLY like the LED back-up bulbs. I have 200ft of driveway to back in and out of and they really do a great job. I see now there are LED bulbs with 'projector' LED's that direct more light right in front of the bulb. Think I'll try those in the sedan for the back-up lights.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:36 am

If you get a link to the projector style LEDs don't forgot to post it..
Back to top Go down
3TONFUN

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:16 am

iBrightstar Newest 9-30V Super Bright Low Power 1157 2057 2357 7528 BAY15D LED Bulbs with Projector Replacement for Back Up Reverse Lights or Tail Brake Lights,Xenon White(6500K) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DCC7XL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_WwVbAbDSJTCDP
Back to top Go down
3TONFUN

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:26 am

My wagon with led back ups.  Not the projectors I linked above but still...
Back to top Go down
3TONFUN

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:29 am

Dang I’m technically challenged...trust me they’re bright.
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:39 pm

Those LED lights are on sale on eBay right now. $8.99... to hell with it. I got a set for the wagon and looking at one for the daily Buick.
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:41 pm

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:00 am

As it is with everything...find a good price, and someone will find the same thing for almost half.
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:58 am

So true.

I got a set for my daily driver Buick Century (9006/9005, so 4 bulbs) for $23. Not bad.

Back to top Go down
81X11

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:33 am

Well DANG I paid too much!
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:26 pm

Do you still like them? Night vision is a huge problem for me (I'm pretty blind, honestly).
Back to top Go down
Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Buy one get the second one for an additional 15% off,sweet. Sold.
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:40 pm

Damn. They already arrived. That's pretty good shipping, too.

Wagon ones won't go in for awhile, but the daily Buick's will be replaced tonight.
Back to top Go down
3TONFUN

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Yesterday at 11:46 am

I ordered the back up bulbs for my sedan Thurs and they're slated to be delivered today. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Yesterday at 12:20 pm

I LOVE these things in my little Buick. Really good upgrade over stock... and no one's flashed me yet. Here's a pic (I know, it's not a wagon, but hey). They modernize the appearance of the car a good bit, too.

Back to top Go down
81X11

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Yesterday at 4:09 pm

Impala wheels make any car look better too!!
Back to top Go down
Gerome

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   Yesterday at 4:46 pm

81X11 wrote:
Impala wheels make any car look better too!!
You are so right !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Headlight Opinions?   

Back to top Go down

Headlight Opinions?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2