GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anyone hear of this before?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lakeffect

lakeffect

Anyone hear of this before? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone hear of this before?   Anyone hear of this before? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 30, 2017 10:15 pm

Ealrier this year a local rebuilder screwed rebuilding something they screwed up last year. The trans (4l60) had to betaken to a second shop who got it running correctly with one exception. The speedometer sender was not sending a pulse from the time the original shop rebuilt it the second time.

Changing the sender  and the buffer did nothing to help get a pulse. Why? Because the Plastic gears driving the sender were not engaging to rotate and produce a pulse that the ECM and dash can receive.

Several auto sites with 4L60  sections seem to contend that there are/were two different tailshaft housings

One is meant for speedo driver gears with tooth counts in the 30's. The other is meant for drive gears with tooth counts in the 40's.

The difference is reported to be that the 40+ tooth count  housing has a slightly offset shaft hole to accommodate the larger gear diameter compared to the 30"s count housing.
So when someone replaces a 30'"s count gear into a 40"s count housing by mistake, the drive gear is offset enough to not engage the gear on the pulse sender.   Hence no pulse.

The question becomes why someone can't count how many teeth a gear has when they take it out and put the same damn part back in.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Anyone hear of this before?   Anyone hear of this before? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2017 10:57 am

You are correct. There are two different VSS housings. One for 39 tooth gears and less, and the other for 40 plus tooth gears. You can tell them apart by the offset of the shaft center. I have posted this numerous times on this forum, and the ISSF.

It is too bad that the people you had work on your trans don't have any idea about the VSS. They rebuild transmissions. My question is; why the moron would not put the original part back in. It should be in the parts pail/bucket that came out of the transmission. I would make the original shop pay for any costs you incurred. The gears are color coded, and also marked on the perimeter of the gear. A lot of the gears are difficult to find.

The 40+ tooth gear will not fit in the trans with the 39- tooth VSS. So, I assume the idiot put a 39- tooth gear on your 40+ tooth VSS. One interesting observation is that it does not matter what tooth drive gear you use, it will not affect the VSS you use.

I am glad you got the situation fixed.

The speedometer display changes inversely to the number of teeth on the driven gear. The change is about 3-4 mph per tooth. With an 18 tooth drive gear (most common), a 3.23 ratio axle with a 28 inch tire should have a 42 (green) to 43 (purple) tooth gear. Smaller tires require a larger gear. You can get 15-19 tooth drive gears, and 34-45 tooth driven gears. Make sure you note that the gear does not have a shaft on it if you order one.

Once you have it close to the speed, or wherever you start, you can get a square wave modifier to fine tune the speedometer for about $80. This is the easy way if you change tire size. There is also a calculator on http://www.transmissioncenter.net/. I did make an extension cable to hook the modifier between the socket and buffer.

This information does not pertain to the 4L60E, only the 4L60/700R4.

Last edited by Fred Kiehl on Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Anyone hear of this before?   Anyone hear of this before? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2017 11:12 am

Well, getting fixed at least. Forty three count gear on order from Summit.  Since both my EBL board in the Corvette ECM and the dash are prpgrammable for pulses per mile, it only mattered as to what Summit had in stock, and ready to ship. There is a "measured mile" nearby to get that squared away.

Second shop billed the first for repairs. Doubt they'll accept more charges, but we are on that aspect of it as well
   Thanks Fred.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Anyone hear of this before?   Anyone hear of this before? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2017 9:08 am

Did you get the correct gear? How is the speedo working?
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Anyone hear of this before?   Anyone hear of this before? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2017 9:48 am

Blew blew gaskets out. Its away for winter. Never got to,bottom of Speedo issue even after replacing sender and buffer. Dealing with issues with other cars now. Did and engine swap in a suburban. 5.0 to 6.0 starter showing no signs of life. Dash guages always on draining battery. Keys work in ignition ,but not doors, and its raining.
Screw it
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Anyone hear of this before?   Anyone hear of this before? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2017 10:07 am

Sounds like ewe need a vacation,Dave. Deep breaths... What a Face
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Anyone hear of this before?   Anyone hear of this before? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2017 10:49 am

I am just so tired of this crap
Can't move one step forward as I am always fighting past problems for 11 years.  Dont be surprised if the wagon goes up for sale soon.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Anyone hear of this before?   Anyone hear of this before? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2017 11:18 am

When you have a custom car, you get to work on it. It is a never ending project. I am about to write about my last 3 months of working on my transplanted 454 in the 91 OCC. You ain't seen nothin'. All kinds of fun surprises.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Anyone hear of this before?   Anyone hear of this before? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2017 12:06 pm

Perhaps an unfortunate garage fire is in order? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Anyone hear of this before?   Anyone hear of this before? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2017 12:08 pm

Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Anyone hear of this before?   Anyone hear of this before? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2017 12:42 pm

We just swapped a LS 6.0 into the suburban we bought for $200.00 it had a rod through the side of the 5.0 that was in it. Lost the keys. Had them remade, they turn the ignition but not the doors. No starter response. All the lights dim. Might be shorted out. It s 35 degrees,raining and no garage.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Anyone hear of this before?   Anyone hear of this before? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2017 4:52 pm

Sounds more like a ground fault for the block.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Anyone hear of this before?   Anyone hear of this before? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 05, 2017 5:06 pm

I have grounds from block to battery , block to body and body to battery. Will pick starter when it stops taking and bench test it. It worked before we swapped out engines, why not now?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Anyone hear of this before?   Anyone hear of this before? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 07, 2017 7:44 pm

I just bought a suburban too,. Its an oil burner, a 99,.
What year is yours? I never heard of a suburban with a 5 litre in it ever,.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Anyone hear of this before?   Anyone hear of this before? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 07, 2017 7:54 pm

My son corrected me. It was a 5.3 that was in there. We also happen to have 5.0 sitting in the cargo bay
I got them confused. Almost done with the swap. About to put the ecm in, which has been reburned for the 6.0. Hoptried firing it some with different ecm but throwing the security light with a no response from the starter solenoid. Hopefully after popping in the correct returned ecm with the security turned off will cure that. I have checked for 12 volts at the always hot starter, and checked all the relays earlier today. Always fun in the snow.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Anyone hear of this before?   Anyone hear of this before? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 08, 2017 10:20 am

"My son corrected me. It was a 5.3 that was in there. We also happen to have 5.0 sitting in the cargo bay"

Dave,I know a guy who can hook you up with some glasses. Cool
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Anyone hear of this before?   Anyone hear of this before? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 08, 2017 10:41 am

A gun that can shoot through engine blocks might be well received at this point.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Anyone hear of this before?   Anyone hear of this before? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 08, 2017 11:52 am

I asked once,. What year is it?
early lq4 the cranks are longer
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Anyone hear of this before?   Anyone hear of this before? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 08, 2017 2:35 pm

2003 chevy suburban now with a 6.0 motor. Got it to crank over by jumping the st a rter relay, so suspecting its a Vats issue, even though vats wad supposedly turned off during reprogramming.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone hear of this before?   Anyone hear of this before? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone hear of this before?
Page 1 of 1