GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LED turn signals shows failed bulb

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
rauldelp

rauldelp

LED turn signals shows failed bulb Empty
PostSubject: LED turn signals shows failed bulb   LED turn signals shows failed bulb Icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 10:49 pm

Hi all,

Run into something kinda annoying.

On my 94 Caprice, I ran LED turn signals and brake lights, so I had to change the blinker unit and it worked fine without giving that light always on lamp failure.

The 93 Buick now clicks like it's supposed to, and everything seems fine until I turn on the headlights/parking lamps. Then it shows both indicators solid. The turn signals still work and click as normal. The lights get brighter as normal. Everything is fine save for both indicators being stuck on.

Any ideas if there's something I'm missing that the car might be looking for something. There's the green box under the dash that plugs into a panel below the signal relays, could that be the problem?

Any ideas?  

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals shows failed bulb   LED turn signals shows failed bulb Icon_minitimeTue Oct 03, 2017 9:49 am

I believe the polarity of the wires is reversed for some circuits when the headlights are turned on. I am not sure how the circuit works with the indicator lights, but it could be related to that.
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals shows failed bulb   LED turn signals shows failed bulb Icon_minitimeTue Oct 03, 2017 9:27 pm

similarly, did you have to do any rewiring? I had a similar problem earlier this you because of a miswiring on the brown wires going to the turn signals. If the wiring needs of the new bulbs have changed anything in terms of pathways, then you've "found" the issue.

If you put the old bulbs back in, does the problem go away? is so, the terminals of the new bulbs aren't the same purpose.
Back to top Go down
rauldelp

rauldelp

PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals shows failed bulb   LED turn signals shows failed bulb Icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2017 12:47 pm

I'll be putting the old bulbs (or rather, new incandescent bulbs) back into the headlights and see if that corrects the issue. My 94 Caprice had LED in the taillights but I never got around to doing the fronts. That car showed no errors. I'm hoping GM didn't change the wiring too much year to year.

I don't think the wiring swaps polarities, the LEDs in the front still light up, and blink as usual. It's just the dash indicators glowing all the time.

I'll let you know what I find. The slow quest to modernize a whale continues!
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals shows failed bulb   LED turn signals shows failed bulb Icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2017 5:40 pm

Might be that the led resistance is so low, that it seems like an open circuit.
Back to top Go down
rauldelp

rauldelp

PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals shows failed bulb   LED turn signals shows failed bulb Icon_minitimeSun Oct 22, 2017 4:32 pm

Ok , just to close this out for now.

Led lights anywhere with the factory blinker causes a failed bulb no blink situation. Led's in the tail with a led compatible blinker unit pigtailed in works great but the LED fronts caused the no blink both indicators on.

Now incandescent front lights with LED rears (stop, turn, and reverse) with the LED blinker (Part number CF-13, LED compatible and still clicks!), and everything is working fine!

I'd have to put load resistors on the front lamps to stop the error, which I don't like. The amber bulbs look better in the clear housings anyway.

I'm so happy to not have the indicators staying on!

Thanks for the help fellas!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LED turn signals shows failed bulb   LED turn signals shows failed bulb Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LED turn signals shows failed bulb
Page 1 of 1