GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2

Go down 
+3
Big Wagon Guy
Andebe
silverfox103
7 posters
AuthorMessage
silverfox103
silverfox103

October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 Empty
PostSubject: October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2   October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 03, 2017 7:45 pm

Like John, in September’s Wagon of the Month, it’s been a while since I’ve updated my story, somewhere going on 9 years.  Then I may have had two LAB Roadmasters a 94 and 95.  The 95 was the family car for years.  We bought it in 1997, two years old at the local Buick dealership.  Didn’t know much about them in those days, other than with a wife, 3 kids, dog and a pop up trailer.  These may be the answer.  Surprisingly, Diane said she grew up with station wagons.  So I realized there wouldn’t be much resistance in the purchase.  

We had that wagon for @15 years.  It never let us down.  It got used for everything vacations, hauling kids around, traveling to hockey games, dump runs and Home Depot.  Till this day, I cannot believe how great a car that was.  It had the original engine, transmission, alternator, starter, AC system, water pump and OPTI.  I can only remember one set of plugs ever installed.  It just ran so good, why change them.  I bought it with 49K and got rid of it with 236K on it.  I have owned Buicks since 1972, without a doubt that is the best car I have ever had!  When we sold it, it ran like a top and still looked great.  By this time the Mrs. And kids were getting a little tired of it.  The two oldest by that time were driving, and weren’t happy when they were looking to use a car and I told them to take the wagon.

But before we sold it, I spotted a 94 on CL, LAB from FL.  A young woman who was going to college in Boston, was given the car by her grandfather.  She hated it and sold it the minute she could.  I was lucky to there at the right time.  It was FL perfect.  I had just retired and that became my garage queen, only driven in the late spring, summer and fall.  For probably 10 years, I gravitated to Crown Vic’s and Mercury Marquis.  The family was not too fond of driving those things.  Sorry, but I don’t do foreign cars.

Then in 2010 I spotted a 1994 Caprice Classic Wagon on CL in VT, which is a place I would never buy a car because of the winters and salt.  It looked real good in the pictures and had low mileage.  I looked at it for several weeks on CL.  Finally, I had to call the guy.  He was about an hour from me, but would be going through my town in a few days.  I arranged to meet him.  I couldn’t believe the shape it was in.  The underside was spotless and looked like it just came from the factory.  I liked it, really liked it, but no purchase yet as I wasn’t sure how happy the Mrs. would be with another wagon toy.  She had no problem, so I didn’t either.

It turns out it belonged to a camp who only used it in the summer for whatever.  It was put away for the rest of the year.  It also had a just rebuilt transmission, which was a plus, as I wouldn’t have to deal with that (or so I thought).  

Got her all spiffed up and ready to go to a WF in VA, hosted by Mike P. and Chris.  It ran great and had a great time.  As always, I bring a starter, an alternator, a coil and any other thing that could go wrong.  But I didn’t bring a transmission; and that’s what I needed, 700 miles from home.   Of course I had a transmission at home.  So I rented a car and had the wagon flat bedded home to my mechanic who promptly swapped the transmissions.  It’s been no problem since.  Bought a set of RMW tan cloth seats (thanks for delivering from OH, Kevin “Wagon Collect”) and an SS grill and swap up the wheels periodically, that’s it, that’s enough.

Still haven’t learned my lesson on the evils of CL, I spot a 1996 Cadillac Fleetood with 65K.  Again, I kept watching it for a couple of weeks.  Finally, I can’t stand it anymore.  I call the guy up.  Turns out it was his 92 father who was a doctor.  He inherited it and just wanted to get rid of it as he was sick of dealing with it.  His father only drove it in good weather and had a Grand Marquis for the winter.  I looked it over and drove it, it was perfect; no rust at all.  I made him a fair offer.  He countered with an offer $100 less.  He said it was for gas, as I was 2 hours away.  Sold.

So now I have three, two wagons and the Fleetwood.  After 5 years of three, I realized that having three, makes absolutely no sense.  They just don’t get driven enough; maybe 1500 miles a year for all of them.  If I didn’t go to WF in NY, the mileage would be under 1000.  

Decided to sell one of the wagons, hard choice.  I have always had a LAB RMW wagon for over 20 years, but decided where it had 50K more miles on the other two, it would be going.  It ended up in good hands with a buddy of TX Mike’s, Ben.  It worked out good for Ben and I know it will be a good weather queen.

So now I’m down to the Fleetwood and Caprice, that’s enough and not even counting out two daily drivers.  But, I’m afraid stupidity will raise it ugly head if I don’t stay off of CL.  I came close to getting another RMW, luckily I didn’t.  But, I still look every day.  

Got to wrap it up as CL is waiting.

Tom

This is the wagon that started me in the B Body wagon game.  It needed a lot and I didn't have the time or $$$ to devote to it, as the two oldest were in HS and thinking college.  I'm guessing the picture is 20 years old, as my daughter was about 5.  She is an engineer now and 27.

October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 Nomad2_zpsd702aba7

Not sure I recognize the guy with the dark hair.

October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 Nomad3_zps847691d4

The big three!

October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 DSC_2527

October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 DSC_0014

How it looked when it came home for the first time.

October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 DSC_1174

October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 DSC_1178

October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 DSC_2475

October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 DSC_1183

Love those Roadmaster seats, especially the cloth.

October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 DSC_5496_zpssfy56ola

Jake says the blackwalls and aluminum wheels had to go.

October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 DSC_0030

That's better!

October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 001_3460_zps35935cd1

And now there's two!

October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 001_7410

October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 001_7411

October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 001_7413
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2   October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 04, 2017 10:18 am

Great write up,Tom. The 57 looks like a great woulda,shoulda,coulda project.
Back to top Go down
Big Wagon Guy

Big Wagon Guy

PostSubject: Re: October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2   October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 8:26 pm

Awesome write up Tom...I'd be happy to own either of those cars. CL is dangerous...be sure to send me the clean ones that you come close to buying but don't.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2   October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 12:06 pm

I'm on CL almost daily and have no $$ for more toys! Great write up.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2   October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 12:27 pm

Nice write-up! Wish we could have spent a bit more time there in your beautiful little town too! Ben loves the blue Roadmaster wagon. It's in good hands!

October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 18698110
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2   October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 3:41 pm

Great story.  I picked up my first wagon (a DGGM Caprice) from Fred (Ruphrax) in Waterloo back when we taking my son on peakbagging trips from Geneva NY to the White Mtns in NH.   Like your daughter, he's now an engineer, and I still have a Caprice wagon.

Last edited by dmg4 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2   October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 07, 2017 7:54 am

Fred's an engineer now?
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2   October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 07, 2017 1:19 pm

Quote :
Fred's an engineer now?

Whoops. Post edited add omitted tyke.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2   October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

October 2017 Wagon of the Month--part 2
Page 1 of 1