GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Here goes...

Go down 
+5
rauldelp
brokecello
sherlock9c1
Fred Kiehl
Cosmos366
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmos366

Cosmos366

Here goes... Empty
PostSubject: Here goes...   Here goes... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 24, 2017 5:21 pm

My Dad always says, "If you have to take a bite of a sh!t sandwich, take a big bite!"

Hopefully I haven't bitten more than I can chew!

Here goes... Chuck114

Here goes... Chuck115

The plan is to polish the trim and change the wood color to Ebony Metallic woodgrain from www.metrorestyling.com

Now to choose some wheels...
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Here goes... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Here goes...   Here goes... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 24, 2017 9:33 pm

This is just a test of your character. Make sure you have a few extra grommets at the nose, in case you damage or loose one. While you are at it, why not install a 454?

Use care to keep the push pin fasteners on the points from breaking.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

Here goes... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Here goes...   Here goes... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 25, 2017 9:58 am

Glad you're getting the aircraft off your trim. Pesky aircraft...
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

Here goes... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Here goes...   Here goes... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 25, 2017 11:24 am

Dang, I'd be eager to see how it turns out. The 3M Black Woodgrain is what I've always wanted...just really expensive compared to the Vivvid product I used.

Can't wait to see it finished!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
rauldelp

rauldelp

Here goes... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Here goes...   Here goes... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 25, 2017 5:09 pm

Wowow! So cool! I'm really digging their "Marine Teak"... Dangit, now I'm thinking about trying the same thing!

I think I'll let you go on ahead and learn from your mistakes.  Laughing

Good luck! We're all counting on you!
Back to top Go down
turnofftheradio

Here goes... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Here goes...   Here goes... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 26, 2017 7:45 am

Looking forward to seeing your progress. I'm interested to see how the dark would look on a white wagon, especially with chrome trim.
side note, I had no idea there was a demand for the "rust" category of vinyl. what a strange product.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

Here goes... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Here goes...   Here goes... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2017 1:27 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
This is just a test of your character. Make sure you have a few extra grommets at the nose, in case you damage or loose one. While you are at it, why not install a 454?
Funny,last guy that tried that,ran into all sorts of issues. lol!
Back to top Go down
Cosmos366

Cosmos366

Here goes... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Here goes...   Here goes... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 08, 2017 7:54 pm

Some progress being made. The trim is almost all stripped, and a couple pieces have a little polishing done.
Here goes... Chuck116

Here goes... Chuck211

The vinyl is all off of the car.

Here goes... Chuck117

Here goes... Chuck118

Here goes... Chuck119

It's hard to tell, but, the vinyl on the passenger side rear quarter was different than the rest of the car. It didn't come off cleanly. left all the adhesive behind.

Here goes... Chuck120

This may be the look I sport for a while. Both trim pieces with white between. It's getting a little cold to install vinyl. You may have noticed my new shop isn't insulated yet.

Thanks to Lakeffect for the mandatory addition!

Here goes... Chuck213
Back to top Go down
Cosmos366

Cosmos366

Here goes... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Here goes...   Here goes... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2017 7:00 am

Little update.
Changed out all the door handles to black bezels and sanded and painted over the tan factory paint.
My paint isn't perfect, but it will be covered by the new vinyl later.
Probably going to leave the upper trim pieces off until the new vinyl is installed in the spring. Even though I know how to remove it, no use in taking a chance in bending it, or breaking clips to remove it in a few months.
Here goes... Chuck215

Here goes... Chuck217
Back to top Go down
1993 Roady-man

1993 Roady-man

Here goes... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Here goes...   Here goes... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2017 10:14 am

Looks good.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

Here goes... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Here goes...   Here goes... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2017 11:11 am

Might consider upgrading to the "big" mirror doors while you are at this stage of the process. BTW,nice Hooks sign.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
brokecello

Here goes... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Here goes...   Here goes... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2017 10:06 pm

Just be sure that paint is stuck on the brown spots good (or remove it) before you do the wood in the spring. It will cause your wood to lift and not stick once it does. I learned the hard way once. Lol!

Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
Mark 96 Roady

Here goes... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Here goes...   Here goes... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2017 11:06 pm

Good luck. What are those drive on wheel lifts you have? Where did you get them, and how much were they? They look like a good height for all kinds of work.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Here goes... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Here goes...   Here goes... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2017 11:42 pm

The ramps are available at most auto part stores. You MAY have to jack the back up to put the ramps under the wheels. They are too tall for lowered cars, because you can not get the air dams past the front of them when driving up on them. You could jack the car, and slide them under the front wheels on lowered cars as well. They are great for tightening the lower bushings on the suspension arms.
Back to top Go down
Cosmos366

Cosmos366

Here goes... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Here goes...   Here goes... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 28, 2017 6:14 pm

Like Fred said, those ramps are available just about every auto parts store. I prefer the plastic ones with a rubber bottom. Those don't slide when you drive up them.

raceramps.com is a company that make high end ramps. They have a full assortment of ramps and blocks and chocks. Pricey though.

The ones under the rear wheels are handmade by my grandpa back in the '40's out of railroad ties! I'm lucky to still have those.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Here goes... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Here goes...   Here goes... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Here goes...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Paint, Body, and Glass-
Jump to: