HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Hood does not 'pop up" nor open

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
68GS400

PostSubject: Hood does not 'pop up" nor open   Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:16 am

My 89 Buick hood will not open. Pulling the release does something but does not release the hood. I'm working alone so can't have someone pull the handle as I try to open.
Any suggestions on how to get the hood open?
Back to top Go down
81X11

PostSubject: Re: Hood does not 'pop up" nor open   Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:33 am

Yep, have someone pull the release handle while you make a fist and bang on the front of the hood over the hatch area. They ALL do this. Once it pops open, clean and then lubricate the latch with white lithium grease.

You can also add a couple of fender washers and a bolt to the area where the hood spring hits, to give the spring more tension.

-Michael
Back to top Go down
convert2diesel

PostSubject: Re: Hood does not 'pop up" nor open   Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:26 am

After pulling the handle, go to the center front of the hood and lightly try to bounce it (only way to describe the action) a few times. Not enough to re-engage the latch but just enough to get some movement in the latch assembly. It should pop up eventually.

As these age, the latch gets gummed up with dirt and starts to bind. Once open, remove the latch and soak it in oil ( I use heated brake fluid) for an hour or so and try to remove as much of the crud as you can. When clean, soak it in a solvent of some sort, like Varosol, to clean up the residual oil, dry it off then hit it with a graphite based lubricant. Make sure all the parts move easily and reinstall.

Hope this helps

Bill
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Hood does not 'pop up" nor open   Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:50 pm

If the cable has stretched, or the sheath shrunk, and the cable appears too long, you can put a small split shot fishing weight on the exposed cable, and clamp it down.

Cleaning the latch with carb cleaner will get any crud off of it. WD 40 or garage door lube can be sprayed on the moving parts to get it moving smoothly. Sometimes no lube is required, just clean parts. Lube can often attract more dirt and cause more issues than just clean and dry. A light lube would only be necessary to keep the parts from rusting.

Pulling the release, and smacking the hood is the usual method when it is sticky. Sometimes a well slammed door will also jar the hood loose.
Back to top Go down
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Hood does not 'pop up" nor open   Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:38 am

Once you get it freed up, you might need to snoop around under the hood more often. They can be spiteful if they feel ignored.
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: Hood does not 'pop up" nor open   Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:26 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
If the cable has stretched, or the sheath shrunk, and the cable appears too long, you can put a small split shot fishing weight on the exposed cable, and clamp it down.

That's a fantastic idea. I have this exact problem.
Back to top Go down
paart

PostSubject: Re: Hood does not 'pop up" nor open   Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:36 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:

Sometimes a well slammed door will also jar the hood loose.

HA! For a year or so, before I finally pulled the latch completely off, to thoroughly clean, lube and adjust it, I use to pull the latch, get out of the car, and slam the driver's door which caused the hood to "pop"!

It's been almost 15 years since my last "boxie", but as I recall: there's enough room on these to take a long tool, such as a long prybar, or similar, from underneath, and go up between the grill and radiator to snap the latch open. A buddy with a flashlight, looking through the grill is very helpful with this approach.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hood does not 'pop up" nor open   

Back to top Go down

Hood does not 'pop up" nor open
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1