GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Oil pan leaks...

Go down 
+2
Fred Kiehl
Studebricker
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Studebricker

Studebricker

Oil pan leaks... Empty
PostSubject: Oil pan leaks...   Oil pan leaks... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 04, 2017 7:29 pm

Hey guys, I have a few random drips coming off the oil pan, and I just wanted to know before I get too deep into it, can you drop the oil pan without removing anything else? There is some kind of suspension bracket under part of it, so if that has to come off, I may just tighten the bolts and live with a random drop or two on the driveway.

Also, there is a plug on the side of the pan, which I assume is the sensor for the "change oil" dash light. If I can get the pan off easily, then I will need to pull this off. Does it pull straight out or is it a clip, or what? I didn't want to force it out and break it, so thought I would ask. Thanks for any info!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Oil pan leaks... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil pan leaks...   Oil pan leaks... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 04, 2017 9:34 pm

The "plug" is the level sensor, and you must pull it before you can pull the pan, or it will break off. It is screwed into the pan, and you must remove the connector with a small screw driver before trying to un-screw the sensor.

You can pull the pan with the engine in the car, but you must raise the engine, and rotate the crank so that the front counterweights are pointed up. You will probably have to remove/loosen a number of things to move the engine...exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe connection, trans dipstick, LT1 oil pressure sender, flywheel dust cover, maybe some more parts I am not sure about. Just be careful to not trap anything between the body and engine. It must go up about 3-4 inches.

When reassembling, make sure the pan is not dimpled at the bolt holes, and use a clamping strip. I did the whole job and replaced the oil pump in less than a day. Check with your FSM for the exact instructions.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

Oil pan leaks... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil pan leaks...   Oil pan leaks... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 07, 2017 7:48 pm

If it has an oil cooler, make sure the adapter at the filter isn't leaking,.
Back to top Go down
4oldcars

4oldcars

Oil pan leaks... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil pan leaks...   Oil pan leaks... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 08, 2017 12:16 pm

I chased a leak on mine for a while only to find it was the oil filter offset adapter.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

Oil pan leaks... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil pan leaks...   Oil pan leaks... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 11, 2017 5:47 pm

And if you do that, be careful to use the right oil filter adapter gasket and o-ring. A few years ago I was working on a relative's car far from home and was buying parts at Advance Auto Parts - apparently these also work for certain older Jeep engines - if the reviews say don't buy that particular one, don't. I ignored the reviews and had to do the job a second time. Sorry I don't have more info, but keep your eyes open!
Back to top Go down
Studebricker

Studebricker

Oil pan leaks... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil pan leaks...   Oil pan leaks... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 9:56 pm

Thanks for all the info. I will admit I am not familiar with the oil filter offset adapter. Was this part of the stock tow package? If so, should be one less issue as mine is a non-tow car.

I found some oil stains below the valve cover so I think that is my culprit. Have the gaskets already, just need to install. Hope that is my only drip. Like I said, it is random, so nothing major.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

Oil pan leaks... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil pan leaks...   Oil pan leaks... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 11:01 pm

Studebricker wrote:

I found some oil stains below the valve cover so I think that is my culprit. Have the gaskets already, just need to install. Hope that is my only drip. Like I said, it is random, so nothing major.

The back bolts on the valve cover are notorious for loosening up, especially the passenger side. Check first before you put on new gaskets.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Studebricker

Studebricker

Oil pan leaks... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil pan leaks...   Oil pan leaks... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2017 12:05 am

Good to know, thank you, sir!

I recently had a trans pan leak as well and noticed all but two of the bolts on that were loose!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Oil pan leaks... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil pan leaks...   Oil pan leaks... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil pan leaks...
Page 1 of 1