HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Interior lights turn on when driving

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dmg4

PostSubject: Interior lights turn on when driving   Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:05 pm

This problem has been mentioned under other threads on a "gate ajar" warning, and rear window release. The gate ajar and rear latch problems are not related to this issue, and are resolved, so let's start afresh here.

Car is a 1996 Caprice wagon. All interior lights: dome, left and right rear seat, under-mirror, and front footwell, come on of their own accord periodically when I am driving.

In the daytime, if I turn the headlights on, then off, the interior lights go off, but only for a few minutes. At night, this trick does not work.

Dash dimmer switch has no effect on the lights when they are on.

If I turn off the engine, and restart, the lights will be off... for a while, and then the cycle repeats.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Interior lights turn on when driving   Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Dave

1: I had an electric issue that didn't make sense, it also involved lights staying on. I changed the "chime" box and problem fixed.

2: Bad headlight switch?

Tom
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Interior lights turn on when driving   Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:29 pm

dmg4 wrote:
Car is a 1996 Caprice wagon.  

oooh, rare. My brother had this happen in his 96 caprice wagon. It ended up being a bad ground near the parking break. Chime box is also a good idea, but I'd clean and tighten the ground first since it's free.
Back to top Go down
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Interior lights turn on when driving   Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:51 pm

Hmmm... the chime is silent in this car. I'll check the ground and pull a chime unit to swap at the local yard.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interior lights turn on when driving   

Back to top Go down

Interior lights turn on when driving
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1