GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gauge cluster swapping

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Funkwagon455

Gauge cluster swapping Empty
PostSubject: Gauge cluster swapping   Gauge cluster swapping Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2017 10:43 pm

Gauge cluster swapping Cluste10
So since swapping from a '92 Olds Custom Cruiser for 13 years as my daily ride to a '92 Buick Roadmaster Estate wagon, I've had the luxury of enjoying both models as well as realizing what features I prefer on both models.  One feature that the '91-'93 models feature that I appreciate is the full gauge cluster that was ironically omitted on the more powerful LT1 examples.  Sadly, I personally have felt that the Buick gauge cluster lacks the personality and attitude the the Olds had, and I've missed it.  Physically the clusters are much the same, and the differences are mostly in light colors and fonts.  I already had two spare Custom Cruiser clusters and started to wonder about the possibility of swapping the units.  This weekend I tore apart my dash and tried this and fortunately almost everything functioned as advertised without electrical modification.  The only light that was not the same was the "Service Engine Soon" light which is located on the opposite side of the cluster.  After a quick solder project with a wire jumper, the Service Engine light was functioning as advertised, and the cluster looked/functioned as advertised.  I also disassembled the odometer on the Olds cluster and adjusted to mirror the odometer in the original Buick cluster.  I drove the car today to work forty miles each way in the dark and enjoyed the fruits of my work.  If you've ever wondered or considered this swap, I can testify that it WILL work with minimal modifications.Gauge cluster swapping Image20
here is a photo for comparison

Last edited by Funkwagon455 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Gauge cluster swapping   Gauge cluster swapping Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2017 10:55 pm

Very nice work!

Tom
Back to top Go down
Yeahoo Whoyah

Yeahoo Whoyah

PostSubject: Re: Gauge cluster swapping   Gauge cluster swapping Icon_minitimeTue Dec 19, 2017 12:40 am

Looks great!
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Gauge cluster swapping   Gauge cluster swapping Icon_minitimeTue Dec 19, 2017 12:39 pm

Nice mod!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Gauge cluster swapping   Gauge cluster swapping Icon_minitimeTue Dec 19, 2017 1:10 pm

I'm really shocked they changed the Check Engine light. I always thought it was just font/color.

I like the Olds cluster better too, looks sportier!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gauge cluster swapping   Gauge cluster swapping Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gauge cluster swapping
Page 1 of 1