GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor

Go down 
+4
Andebe
Big Wagon Guy
silverfox103
dmg4
8 posters
AuthorMessage
dmg4
dmg4

LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Empty
PostSubject: LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor   LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2018 3:04 pm

Some time ago, I decided to upgrade the red velvet bordello seats in my Caprice to a like-tinted set of leather seats from a Roadmaster.  Posted on the Forum, scrounged junkyards, searched Craigslist, and then one day I get a PM from Tom (Silverrfox103) that there is a junker in Kennebunkport Maine that fits the bill: $700 bucks, only 88K miles, and it has the requisite seats.

I just happen to be on my way from Geneva to RI to visit Mom at the time (94 and still driving).  Kennebunkport is sort of on the way, and so I detoured en route to look at the car.

Met the owner, a young med student, looked at the seats, and they were like new.  It was dark already, for $700 bucks I did not give a hoot what else was going on with the car if it moved, steered, and stopped.  Heck, at 4,700 lbs it's $300 worth of scrap steel alone.  Bought the car without a quibble, and asked the owner to drive it to the Kittery Trading Post, where I could pick it up the next day, courtesy of a lift from a cousin, in exchange for buying him lunch and ammo.

Now, in daylight, the car was not so nice looking.  I'd say it was a Monet...you need to back up until it looks good.  But, with my well fed and armed cousin running interference on my rear bumper (I had no legal plates), we drove carefully to RI, and dumped the car at my Mom's house, with a promise to return to pick it up the following week.  Mom, ever happy to be visited, agreed not to set it on fire.  For one week.

My wife, having endured 32 years of adventures in car buying with me, was still a bit disappointed with my purchase, and declined the opportunity to accompany me to retrieve the car.  She did agree to dump me at the Hertz counter at the Syracuse airport, and waved goodby with the back of her hand as she drove out of sight.  Drove a rental car to RI, dumped it at the RI airport, and called my sister to inform her that the price of getting the car removed before Mom torched it in the back yard was retrieving me from the airport.  Deal!

And so, now with NY legal plates on the car, I drove to the 367 miles west to Geneva.

Then began the process to becoming better acquainted with my purchase.  Out came the seats. Hmmm..... what's that on the floor?  A set of hemostats!  Geeeze... this med student did surgery homework in the back seat.  Oops...there's more.  Little tiny cigarette butts.  Nope...they aren't cigarettes.  WTF!  The hemostat is a roach clip.  

If I'm ever in a trauma center bleeding to death in Maine, I want a good look at the attending surgeon before he starts work.  If he's squinty-eyed, giggly, and eating a big bag of Cheetos, I want another option.

My shop vac now smells like a hookah, but the car was now drug-free and fit for its next phase of life: a parts car at Big Wagon Guys' farm in Ontario as an undocumented alien.  I was hopeful that the car, cleaned of doobies but with only the driver's seat would not attract too much attention at the border (Niagara Falls).

I answered all of the border guard's questions without being a smartass until the last: "Do you have any firearms or drugs in the car"?  Answer: "No, do you think I should go home and get some"?   I get the stare and silence, and then "Get out of here, and enjoy your visit".

LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Presen10

The Force can be used for dodgy border crossings.

Ah yes... without pictures, none of this happened.  As I wrote, the car was not in showroom condition.

LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Itwill10

I think this will buff out.

LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Hillbi11

Why waste money on an install kit from Crutchfield?  Just drill a hole in the dash, install the CD changer remote upside-down,  and be done with it.

LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Doorlo10

Remote not releasing the door lock?  Whack a hole in that plastic to convert to "manual".

LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Golfba10

Golf ball manufacturers learned long ago that a dimpled surface creates a dead air space at the surface and decreases drag.  Incorporating this feature into body panels was brilliant.

LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Draina10

These cars are notorious for those tiny wheel well drains that clog.  No more!  Both drainage and ventilation are greatly improved.

LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Oil10

Not only is there flow-through ventilation. This car has flow-through lubrication via a constant feed rear main seal.  This effectively results in a complete oil change every 3000 miles with minimal fuss.

LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Distre10

I know some are into changing out the woodgrain on these cars, but really... new wood on a 24 year old car to me looks like some of those Hollywood 80mph face lifts.  I prefer the look of "distressed" wood.  Age gracefully, please.

LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Lcaacc10

Something my Caprice lacks is the easy-access port for the bolts on the lower control arms.

LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Bucket10

A custom bucket seat was installed for the run to the border.

LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Wingwi10

Wing window leaking?  Goop on some RTV.  Make sure you apply it liberally to the inside too.

LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Sidevi10

Really though, there are heaps of good parts in this... umm... heap.  Most of the beltline trim is there.  The engine and drivetrain, aside from the rear main, runs like a champ (as it should at 88K).  It has a good 3.23 posi rear.  The beltline trim is perfect, although sans rubber in some areas.  Rear glass and defroster: good.  Rear wiper motor: good.  Most interior plastic and door panels and little bits are OK.  It got 21 mpg at 75 mph on a 1000 mile trip, so it's got guts.

LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Davidn10

The car is now at John P's Home for Wayward Wagon in Ontario, resting peacefully.   If you are interested in partaking of the remains of this now undocumented Canadian, check with John (Big Wagon Guy).

LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Undocu10

Oh yes... the seats that I transferred to the Caprice!  They look pretty good.

LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Unknow24

Now I need to find someone who wants the red guts front and rear cloth seats from the Caprice.  They are like new: 55K butt-miles on them, no wear, no stains, no fading, and no rips.  The rear seatback has the headrest mod described for my car and the Viking Roadmaster.  It does not interfere with folding the seatback down.  All motors and adjustments work.  $300 and I'll deliver them between Geneva and points east (MA, CT, RI, NH, VT, and maybe southern Maine), or pick them up at Wagonfest.  Listed under "For Sale" too.

LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Dsc_0020
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor   LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2018 8:51 pm

Being a "bottom feeder" like I am, you never know what you'll find on CL. Looks like the seats were the best part of the hulk.

Now Dave, for selling the 55K Caprice seats, one name rises to the top, Kevin Ferry "WagonCollector". He has at least 4 maybe 5 Caprice wagons. I believe most of them if not all are cloth seats. He's not on the forum too often, so you may want to PM him.

Thanks for the story

Tom
Back to top Go down
Big Wagon Guy

Big Wagon Guy

PostSubject: Re: LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor   LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2018 9:39 pm

Great write up David. I took the car for a spin down to the back 40 of my farm and despite its appearance it runs and drives like a car with 88k miles on it. I affectionately call this wagon the GiftMaster as not only did David deliver it to me...he did not take a dime for it. So if anyone wants parts from it all proceeds go to David. Its really to bad whomever owned this car drove it like a Derby car...there is not a body panel without a wow in it.

I think we should start a YouTube channel...we could show case our Wagon buying/fixing/dismantling adventures.

Thanks again David, it was nice having you over...hope you come back to visit the Ontario chapter of the B body rehabilitation center.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor   LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2018 10:07 am

Entertaining write up Dave. study Good to see it will live on in some sort of roll.
Back to top Go down
KCClark

PostSubject: Re: LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor   LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2018 4:17 pm

I put those seats in my white '95 Caprice wagon many moons ago. My wife wanted leather seats and I found those in an RM sedan.
Back to top Go down
Nick in PA

PostSubject: Re: LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor   LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2018 7:27 pm

Awesome write up, I love the bucket seat. Thaks for the read and the pictures.
Nick in PA
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor   LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2018 10:12 am

The new seats look great....but what's that smell??

Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor   LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2018 10:21 am

Quote :
Quote :
The new seats look great....but what's that smell??

LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor 61wulh10
Back to top Go down
Buicknutt

Buicknutt

PostSubject: Re: LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor   LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2018 2:16 am

Nice story!

I’ve been asked several times “Dont you want to drive it?”
When buying a cheapy Roady to load up on the trailer
Back to top Go down
Big Wagon Guy

Big Wagon Guy

PostSubject: Re: LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor   LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2020 12:10 pm

To revive a thread from the dead...the GiftMaster has been left out behind my barn since Dave dropped it off almost 2 years ago...in that time its been completely buried under snow for months at a time...popped the hood...hooked it up to a set of jumper cables and it started on the 1st turn of the key! These cars amaze me.
Back to top Go down
Buicknutt

Buicknutt

PostSubject: Re: LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor   LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2020 12:41 pm

That’s nothing.
I pulled one out of a field that had been sitting 10 years as verified from registration records and oil change sticker.
Battery
Fuel pump
Oil change
Gas tank flush
Then I turned the key and it cranked and cranked then fired up with a chug a chug a chug...then died....started again....chug a chug a chug a chug a chug....died....3rd start....chug chug chug chug chug roooooarrrrred to life and has been running flawlessly ever since with thousands of miles logged so far.
Back to top Go down
Big Wagon Guy

Big Wagon Guy

PostSubject: Re: LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor   LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Icon_minitimeSat Jan 18, 2020 6:04 pm

Buicknutt Long live the LT1 Smile

I neglected to mention that after I started the Giftmaster I put it into gear and the brakes were stuck...gave it some throttle and they broke loose. I then proceeded to drive it around the property like it had been parked only the day before. They are very robust machines.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor   LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LROM MARCH 2018: The Organ Donor
Page 1 of 1