GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MAF Sensor

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
brainiac

MAF Sensor Empty
PostSubject: MAF Sensor   MAF Sensor Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 6:09 am

Having a stall problem with my 1995 RMW. I unplugged the MAF sensor but the result was a vibrating, shaking idle that got worse as I accelerated the gas. I plugged the MAF back in and the car idled smoothly. Any chance the MAF sensor is still the culprit? TIA
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

MAF Sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAF Sensor   MAF Sensor Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 10:24 am

""Any chance the MAF sensor is still the culprit?""

Very slim. As you have proven, the engine will run (poorly) even without a MAF sensor. These rarely shift calibration, its pretty much a good or failed situation. What do your History codes show?
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

MAF Sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAF Sensor   MAF Sensor Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 10:29 am

I have occasionally seen a bad MAF connection fixed by doing what you did (unplugging it and plugging it back in).
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

MAF Sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAF Sensor   MAF Sensor Icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2018 9:47 pm

usually when unplugging the maf,. the engine runs fine,.albeit with a check engine light on,.and harder on fuel.assuming of course that you unplugged the maf while the engine was shut off, and then started the engine.

but what do i know,
Back to top Go down
brainiac

MAF Sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAF Sensor   MAF Sensor Icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 10:40 pm

Cleaned the MAF sensor. Car fired right up. Went out for test drive. Drove smooth thru the neighborhood. Got on long straight stretch of road and did the wide open throttle test. It ran good. Then back into another neighborhood, turned around to head back. Did the wide open throttle again. This time it took off great again but then it did the big "gulp" for air or fuel. It didn't die, just slumped. I drove back to my house with stops at signs but no problems. Does anyone have an inkling what this behavior indicates? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

MAF Sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAF Sensor   MAF Sensor Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 8:06 am

Its on the fuel side. Any history codes?
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

MAF Sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAF Sensor   MAF Sensor Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 5:46 pm

how did u clean the maf.  From our Pm's i was under the impression u didn't work on cars?
car can 'gulp' in a manner of speaking if the gas tank is below 1/4 and a rapid acceleration from a stop.
Back to top Go down
brainiac

MAF Sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAF Sensor   MAF Sensor Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 12:41 am

I look online for videos. There are a lot on MAF sensors. And, while the "gulp" could possibly be low fuel in tank, wouldn't that be an issue that would have been there from the start (when I first got the car from Fred). Plus, my fuel gauge has never given me reason to think it's not accurate, and it shows over a half tank. I want to get this otherwise good car fixed, and I'm at the point where I'm casting the problem out there hoping someone like you has run into this and solved it. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

MAF Sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAF Sensor   MAF Sensor Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 9:37 pm

brainiac wrote:
I look online for videos. There are a lot on MAF sensors. And, while the "gulp" could possibly be low fuel in tank, wouldn't that be an issue that would have been there from the start (when I first got the car from Fred). Plus, my fuel gauge has never given me reason to think it's not accurate, and it shows over a half tank. I want to get this otherwise good car fixed, and I'm at the point where I'm casting the problem out there hoping someone like you has run into this and solved it. Thanks.

so just how did u clean the maf?

diagnosing a problem on the internet with descriptions from somebody youtube educated turns into a crap shoot,
i got the first lt1 back in 99.  its very strange how your lt1 runs badly with the maf disconnected . i have worked on these cars for years, so i know usually what to ask the owner to do to help them with a diagnosis,. your lack of knowledge regarding faulty sensors and bad connections and just how fickle these problems can be to correct in person by somebody with experience, leads you to believe its a simple abc set of steps. sometimes a bad wire can throw off everything.  again the fact that you say the car runs rough with maf disconnected  puzzles me. As i said ,. assuming you had the engine shut off when you unplugged the maf, and then started the engine.
I'm all out of inklings sorry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MAF Sensor Empty
PostSubject: Re: MAF Sensor   MAF Sensor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MAF Sensor
Page 1 of 1