GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WTB 8.5 axle carrier and/or complete gearset and/or complete wagon axle

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Garrett Crozier

Garrett Crozier

WTB 8.5 axle carrier and/or complete gearset and/or complete wagon axle Empty
PostSubject: WTB 8.5 axle carrier and/or complete gearset and/or complete wagon axle   WTB 8.5 axle carrier and/or complete gearset and/or complete wagon axle Icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 11:56 am

Snow is finally melted in michigan so time to rebuild the trashed 8.5 10 bolt in the wagon in the backyard. Previous owner probably did too many burnouts, seized the spider gears, and broke the retaining pin, which trashed the housing and make a terrible knocking sound as discussed here https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/t13186-strange-drivetrain-noise-in-95-rmw-help

Anyone have either a 30 spline carrier or a complete gearset your not using? Posi or locker prefered but not necessary. If its just a non-posi carrier must be compatible with 2.56 gears. If your within a few hours drive from toledo ohio I would be interested in a complete axle too.

Hoping somebody has something so I don't have to lie under a rusty car at the junkyard and way overpay for some old clapped out parts and waste a day fighting old rusty bolts. Open to pretty much any options at this point, paypal ready for the right stuffs. Thanks dudes.

Last edited by Garrett Crozier on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: WTB 8.5 axle carrier and/or complete gearset and/or complete wagon axle   WTB 8.5 axle carrier and/or complete gearset and/or complete wagon axle Icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 12:10 pm

I do believe all the wagons are 30 spline axles, for what it's worth.

Good luck on the hunt. I looked at your other thread... that's a weird failure.

Back to top Go down
Garrett Crozier

Garrett Crozier

PostSubject: Re: WTB 8.5 axle carrier and/or complete gearset and/or complete wagon axle   WTB 8.5 axle carrier and/or complete gearset and/or complete wagon axle Icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 12:15 pm

I have the memory of a gnat. edited. Thanks for the correction
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: WTB 8.5 axle carrier and/or complete gearset and/or complete wagon axle   WTB 8.5 axle carrier and/or complete gearset and/or complete wagon axle Icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 9:13 pm

I did basically that same thing to a 62 Pontiac Catalina. Fortunately it had a pumpkin like a Ford 9 inch, and a trip to the junk yard got me back on the road easily.

You would probably be better off buying new gears, and limited slip/locker carrier. The stuff you will get used will be about the same as digging one out of a junkyard donor. You can also pick the ratio you want. If you want to use your 2.56 gears, you need to mount the ring gear to the new standard carrier with a spacer. They are available, but you will have to search for them, because I do not know where to get one.

You will probably require at least the right axle, bearing, and seal, because the car puts more wear on the right axle, especially with an open differential. You can probably use the left axle over again. Most of the supply houses have axles for the wagons, or can order them. You can also borrow the tools to do the seals and axle bearings. You need an installation kit with new bearings and a shim set. Get the best bearings...Timkin is a good brand. There is a tool available on ebay and Amazon to set the pinion depth, for about $28 (Ratech). The bearings and races must be replaced so that you do not damage the new bearings. The installation kit will have instructions, as well as the new axle carrier, and probably the gear set. You also need a caliper, magnetic tool holder stand, and a dial gauge that can measure .001 ths of an inch. The pattern for the contact patch needs to be in the middle of the gear faces (both directions), and play in the gears should be between .005 and .007.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: WTB 8.5 axle carrier and/or complete gearset and/or complete wagon axle   WTB 8.5 axle carrier and/or complete gearset and/or complete wagon axle Icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2018 9:23 pm

The other option is to get the entire rear from a donor wagon, and bolt it in place of your damaged one. This is probably cheaper, but you get used parts. The other upside is that all of the parts are already adjusted. You can check for the gear ratio on the SPID. All years of wagons have the same type of rear, and are interchangeable. If you change ratios, you will have to address the gear change issues by changing the computer programming. I assume your wagon is a 94-96, because those are the only years that came with the 2.56 gears. I would still check the right axle for wear, and if worn, replace it, the bearing, and seal. You can do that part while the axle is still out of the car.
Back to top Go down
Garrett Crozier

Garrett Crozier

PostSubject: Re: WTB 8.5 axle carrier and/or complete gearset and/or complete wagon axle   WTB 8.5 axle carrier and/or complete gearset and/or complete wagon axle Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 11:42 am

Thanks fred, lot of good info there. This is for my old caprice with a trans thats hurt pretty bad, so I am probably going with used parts, that way I can hopefully get a trans in it and make it a driver again. I would pull a carrier from a yard but thought I would see if anyone has one on here first. Every time I try to pull something involved like this at a yard I forget a tool and it turns into a multi day affair. Save me the hassle, and someone on here makes some beer money. There is a wagon axle at a local yard, but it has already been torn into, stuff wedged between pinon and ring gear, and the yoke is gone. I don't want to screw with it. I'll wait a couple weeks, but if nobody has one laying around I'll go pull one at a yard.

If I find a cleaner wagon to daily I will build this axle with nice gears, posi, disc brake ect, but currently don't what to drop that kinda $ into my rusty beater RMW. I know its not really ideal, but I am willing to take that chance.

I do have tunercats so changing speedo is a nonfactor.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic but thats why I am open to pretty much any options.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: WTB 8.5 axle carrier and/or complete gearset and/or complete wagon axle   WTB 8.5 axle carrier and/or complete gearset and/or complete wagon axle Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 12:43 pm

The left axle usually is often almost like new if you need an axle, but check it for bearing surface wear first. I would still use a new bearing if changing the axle.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: WTB 8.5 axle carrier and/or complete gearset and/or complete wagon axle   WTB 8.5 axle carrier and/or complete gearset and/or complete wagon axle Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2018 12:50 pm

I'm pretty sure I still have the 2.56 open carrier I pulled out of my caprice at about 78k miles.  If I do, you can have it for free + shipping, which from Canada might still not be a good deal because you'd still have 2.56 gears.

Personally, if you're at the point where you need to open the diff, I'd just do gears+diff anyway.  Get an eaton truetrac (913A481) or clutch-type (19559-1).  You have the software to reprogram the car.

I have a set of 3.23s with reluctor I can sell if you choose to go that route. Also have one GM wagon axle, and a rebuilt tranny with Sonnax shift kit, upg sunshell and fwd apply piston. Had all new bushings when redone. Has maybe 30k km on it since. Tranny was a 94, converted to 96.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WTB 8.5 axle carrier and/or complete gearset and/or complete wagon axle   WTB 8.5 axle carrier and/or complete gearset and/or complete wagon axle Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WTB 8.5 axle carrier and/or complete gearset and/or complete wagon axle
Page 1 of 1