HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Power seat motor replacement?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
81X11

PostSubject: Power seat motor replacement?   Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:33 pm

Hi Gang!

Is it possible/hard to replace one motor on the power driver's seat track? The tilt on the front of the driver's seat only works when it wants to now. It reminds me of a failing power window motor that will work, then stop, and then if you come back a bit later will work again.

I've just recently replace the plastic sliders on this track, so really don't want to have to replace the entire track assembly. Back-forth and the rear up-down still work fine.

THANKS!

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Power seat motor replacement?   Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:12 am

You can replace any motor on the track. There are only two. The up and down are run in opposite directions to tilt.

The tilt for the back of the seat is separate and had threaded shafts on both sides. The shafts tend to corrode and stick.

Last edited by Fred Kiehl on Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
81X11

PostSubject: Re: Power seat motor replacement?   Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:15 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
There are threaded shafts under the seat. The tend to get corroded, and stick. Cleaning and greasing them, or replacing them may help more than replacing the motor.

Hi Fred, when I installed the new plastic sliders I lubricated everything that moved really well. When the front motor moves, it moves fast, but it will just stop, and if you leave it alone for a few minutes, it will "wake up" again and work a bit more...than stop. Frustrating.

But I appreciate the reply!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Power seat motor replacement?   Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:21 am

I redid my post.

The motors can be replaced. They are internally fitted with circuit breakers. If the motor runs really fast, it could have shorted wires internally, and since it would overheat, it would pop the internal breaker. It takes a few minutes to reset. I had a window motor do that with auto down. Since I disconnected the auto down, it works properly.
Back to top Go down
81X11

PostSubject: Re: Power seat motor replacement?   Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:32 am

Fred Kiehl wrote:
I redid my post.

The motors can be replaced. They are internally fitted with circuit breakers. If the motor runs really fast, it could have shorted wires internally, and since it would overheat, it would pop the internal breaker. It takes a few minutes to reset. I had a window motor do that with auto down. Since I disconnected the auto down, it works properly.

Thanks Fred, and yep, this sounds like exactly what's happening. I guess I'll try to get a motor off at the salvage yards. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Power seat motor replacement?   

Back to top Go down

Power seat motor replacement?
Page 1 of 1