HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative

Go down 
AuthorMessage
bocoogto

PostSubject: Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative   Mon May 14, 2018 6:12 pm

I have had three RMW's with stainless trim on both sides. I've spent many hours cleaning the stainless and rubber before re-applying after it comes loose. I've always used 3M double sided trim tape as, I believe, the factory used. In every case, after a year or two, the ends were again loose. On my latest wagon, a '95, I tried "Automotive Goop" to secure the ends as they loosened. That was about two years ago, and the ends that I used Goop on are still secure.

Now, thanks to Silverfox on this board, I have a near-perfect straight piece of driver's side door stainless and the rubber strip for it. I have cleaned all traces of adhesive & tape off of the rubber and stainless. I will do a final cleaning with lacquer thinner before I re-attach the rubber.

What have you found to be the best adhesive for the rubber strips? Have I been buying the wrong 3M tape? I've always had good luck with 3M automotive products, but not the tape. Help!!!
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative   Mon May 14, 2018 7:12 pm

Dick

Never had any luck with the tape and apparently GM hasn't either. This is what I have done: went to HD and got a tube of GE Silicon and a roll of 2" blue painters tape. I don't remember how much I had to redo, but it lasted @12 years when I sold the wagon. I'm sure it is still holding.

Tom
Back to top Go down
bocoogto

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative   Mon May 14, 2018 9:07 pm

Did you use the 2" tape to keep the silicone off the body? I can't picture what you needed the tape for.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative   Mon May 14, 2018 9:44 pm

Sorry Dick, didn't finish explaining. I put beads of silicon on the back side of the rubber, positioned on the chrome. I pushed it on tight, cleaned up any excess that may have oozed out. Then, I taped it securely with the 2 inch painters tape and let it sit 2 or 3 day. It has lasted at least 12 years. I may have had to "touch up" and end here and there, but for the most part it worked great.

Tom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative   

Back to top Go down

Rubber Trim Adhesive Alternative
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Paint, Body, and Glass-
Jump to: