GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

'89 Le Sabre door lock switch?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
redcaddy

redcaddy

'89 Le Sabre door lock switch? Empty
PostSubject: '89 Le Sabre door lock switch?   '89 Le Sabre door lock switch? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 11:15 am

The auto door locks were intermittent, when I reached the proper level of frustration, I took the bull by the horns and did the troubleshoot dance. pulled the door panel off and checked all the wiring.

At the end of a very frustrating day, I discovered some corrosion on the brass strips molded to the back of the switch. The corrosion had eaten away most of the little brass strip. I thought this would be an easy fix. (find and plug in a new switch) Silly me, I discovered that the only switches available had 3 prongs arranged diagonally, The one in my '89 has 3 prongs in an L shape configuration.

Long trip to all 3 of my local "pic N' pull" yards, no joy. Everything pre 2000 has been crushed. All the '90 and later bodies I have looked at have a very different style of switch, not adaptable.

I went looking for a 3 diagonal plug I could splice into the door, apparently, no body can/will sell me this plug new and I can't find one used.

Can anybody help me out with a good, useable original switch or a diagonal 3 switch and plug (fits the same hole in the door panel)

As usual, have money, need parts...

Thanks, Paul in Venice
Back to top Go down
redcaddy

redcaddy

PostSubject: Re: '89 Le Sabre door lock switch?   '89 Le Sabre door lock switch? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2018 9:06 pm

bumpity bump bump. Tap, Tap, Tap is this thing on?
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

PostSubject: Re: '89 Le Sabre door lock switch?   '89 Le Sabre door lock switch? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2018 10:14 pm

If you are needing a part you will have better luck finding it by asking in the right section.

https://gmlongroof.4umer.com/f9-wanted
Back to top Go down
redcaddy

redcaddy

PostSubject: Re: '89 Le Sabre door lock switch?   '89 Le Sabre door lock switch? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2018 12:07 pm

Sorry, I guess I expected some trouble shoot help or insight from the electrical section.
Do I repost (cut n' paste) in the wanted section or can/would a moderator move it for me? On second thought, I suppose it's likely more fiting in the "boxie's forum.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: '89 Le Sabre door lock switch?   '89 Le Sabre door lock switch? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Cut off old connector. Put new individual terminals on wires. Connect.
Back to top Go down
redcaddy

redcaddy

PostSubject: Re: '89 Le Sabre door lock switch?   '89 Le Sabre door lock switch? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 7:39 pm

Thanks Jay, I'll work that plan, as soon as I find a new switch. ( of either configuration )

Thanks, Paul
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: '89 Le Sabre door lock switch?   '89 Le Sabre door lock switch? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2018 8:03 pm

Post a pic of the switch you need, please.
Back to top Go down
redcaddy

redcaddy

PostSubject: Re: '89 Le Sabre door lock switch?   '89 Le Sabre door lock switch? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2018 2:30 pm

Just to close out this thread. I couldn't get my phone pic's to post, GRRRRR.

What I did was to solder a piece of 22 gage wire across the missing spot. The plastic was more heat resistant than I expected. 15 watt iron and some micro soldering skill. Viola, the original switch marches on..

Thanks for the offered help Cool

Paul in Venice
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: '89 Le Sabre door lock switch?   '89 Le Sabre door lock switch? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'89 Le Sabre door lock switch?
Page 1 of 1