GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New to me 46k mile wagon

Go down 
+2
KCClark
Garrett Crozier
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Garrett Crozier

Garrett Crozier

New to me 46k mile wagon Empty
PostSubject: New to me 46k mile wagon   New to me 46k mile wagon Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 9:52 pm

Hi all,

I don't know that I have formally introduced myself. I have been driving B-body wagons for years now, and have been/currently am driving a 95 RMW. However, the rust is getting bad and I have gotten tired of chasing it. So when the girlfriend moved to Atlanta for the summer, I tagged along to find a new ride.

In nowhere South Carolina, this 46k mile gem popped up and I had to buy it. I drove to Atlanta, then made the 700 mile drive back home in it. Didn't skip a beat.

New to me 46k mile wagon Ls7iv5gm

It needs TLC, but is almost entirely rust free, which is something I am not used to in Ohio. Unfortunately, the seller told me it was never hit, but upon closer inspection when it got home, the drivers rear quarter got hit hard at some point in its life. It was fixed well though.

I am looking for tailgate moulding, as well as passengers front and rear door molding. Or I may just take it all off, I haven't decided. At some point down the road it will probably get a cam and 3.23 with posi (sitting in my closet, was planning on putting the the Roadmaster).

When I have finished the work and get it to daily driver status, I will update you all.

Love these cars!
Back to top Go down
KCClark

PostSubject: Re: New to me 46k mile wagon   New to me 46k mile wagon Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2018 11:21 pm

Toledo and rust go hand in hand. So many cars destroyed by it. Sad

46k car and no rust! That is quite a find.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: New to me 46k mile wagon   New to me 46k mile wagon Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2018 9:53 am

Nice score! I hope you undercoat it if you are planning to run it year-round!
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: New to me 46k mile wagon   New to me 46k mile wagon Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2018 2:32 pm

Nice score!
Back to top Go down
Garrett Crozier

Garrett Crozier

PostSubject: Re: New to me 46k mile wagon   New to me 46k mile wagon Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2018 11:24 pm

The underside will be getting some special attention before winter hits. I have long lusted for a clean body, and I do not plan on letting this one fall apart! I plan on painting all of the floorboards and other typical rust spots, and using liberal amounts of rust preventive oil like LPS 3. Any other rust prevention ideas are welcome. "undercoating" itself, if not done right, can sometimes leave a car worse off, so I am hesitant to do that. Paint seems safer to me.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: New to me 46k mile wagon   New to me 46k mile wagon Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 9:17 am

Go to Krown rustproofing. There's one in Monroe, MI which should be near-ish to you.

It's an oil-based product. I have had really good success with it and their competitor (metropolitain). They drill holes in your doorsills and door jambs but cover them. Should be reapplied yearly.
Unlike the waxy products (like ziebart) it doesn't trap moisture underneath. It should be redone yearly.
The cons are that the car will never be 'the reconditionner' clean since you literally sprayed it with oil. I've also found that it tends to make the lower door rubber droop on some B-cars.
Back to top Go down
Garrett Crozier

Garrett Crozier

PostSubject: Re: New to me 46k mile wagon   New to me 46k mile wagon Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 9:11 pm

Good call Jason! I have never heard of that company, but is seems like a good method. My sailing team's boats are up in Monroe, it is not far from me. I think it would be a wise investment.

The car is getting close to ready for daily driver duty, but it is not done. Actually, I don't think these cars are ever "done" if you know what I mean Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
jagriffinsf

PostSubject: Re: New to me 46k mile wagon   New to me 46k mile wagon Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2018 9:23 pm

Great looking car, Garrett. It definitely looks like it was worth the trip.

Also, Krown rustproofing is a great tip. I'm going to consider that for my DD.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to me 46k mile wagon   New to me 46k mile wagon Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to me 46k mile wagon
Page 1 of 1