GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ticking/ rattling noise when ac compressor is on

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Andy82487

Ticking/ rattling noise when ac compressor is on Empty
PostSubject: Ticking/ rattling noise when ac compressor is on   Ticking/ rattling noise when ac compressor is on Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2018 4:23 pm

I recently bought a 95 rmw with 130,000 miles on it. About a month after driving it I started hearing a ticking/rattling noise when the ac was on. I thought my compressor was going bad and maybe it is. I have drove it 500 miles in the last month and the noise has remained the same and the ac still works fine. So I did some research and came to the conclusion that my compressor bearing or idler pulley was bad. I just pulled the clutch bearing and idler pulley off the car and both feel good and look new. Maybe a slight movement front to back in clutch bearing but turns smooth.I'm pretty sure the whole compressor has been replaced recently. Is there anything else it could be? If it is my compressor is there anything I should know so the next one lasts longer than this one. Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
r67northern

r67northern

PostSubject: Re: Ticking/ rattling noise when ac compressor is on   Ticking/ rattling noise when ac compressor is on Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2018 5:30 pm

My guess would be a compressor too, but I’ve heard them make noise for years and keep going. Unfortunately I don’t have any advice on how to get a good one. I’ve bought new ones that made it for a month and then seized, and then have run re-mans that sounded better and lasted longer. If anyone has compressor advice, I’m interested too!
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: Ticking/ rattling noise when ac compressor is on   Ticking/ rattling noise when ac compressor is on Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2018 7:37 pm

My little daily Buick has been making AC noise like that for almost a year, but still blows ice cold.

All of the remans out there are of dubious quality. It's a crap shoot. Might as well keep what you have until it stops blowing cold.

In the mean time, put a stereo in it. Cures all those little noises just fine. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ticking/ rattling noise when ac compressor is on   Ticking/ rattling noise when ac compressor is on Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ticking/ rattling noise when ac compressor is on
Page 1 of 1