GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

79 caprice hood wanted

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
79capriceNZ

79 caprice hood wanted Empty
PostSubject: 79 caprice hood wanted   79 caprice hood wanted Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2018 2:49 am

Hi, Im looking for a Hood for my 79 chevy caprice wagon as the one on it has some big rust holes, or even if someone could point me in the direction of a good fitting reproduction hood or possibly even fibreglass. The issue is I'm in New Zealand so I'll need to arrange shipping to LA to get it home, but its impossible to find parts here haha.
Thanks
Jason
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: 79 caprice hood wanted   79 caprice hood wanted Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2018 10:08 am

Just an FYI, the 77-79 Caprice and Impala hoods interchange, and they made thousands of them, with many left in the southern rust-free parts of the US.  I don't think finding one will be a problem, but shipping it to New Zealand won't be cheap.

I see hese cars often at the local Wrench-A-Part, LKQ, and Pick-N-Pull do-it-yourself yards....where parts are super cheap, but again, most don't pull the parts or ship.

That said, you might get lucky!

Here's some quick links to try:
http://www.car-part.com/
http://row52.com/
https://www.johnssalvagecompany.net/
http://www.ctcautoranch.com/Parts%20Cars/Parts%20Cars%20Sub-Pages/Parts%20Cars%20Chevrolet.html  - He has lots! Search Full-Size 67-and-up!

Happy Hunting!

-Texas Mike
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 79 caprice hood wanted   79 caprice hood wanted Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2018 11:46 pm

If you can find a freight forwarder, they will accept parts in the US, and ship partial container loads. It takes a while for them to accumulate enough to ship a full container, but it is relatively cheap. You still have the issue of getting the part to the freight forwarder. Hoods are big, and difficult to ship, especially if it is a substantial distance.

I do not have issues with shipping large objects, but I do not have the ability to easily ship a hood inexpensively. Freight picked up at a warehouse, on a pallet, is probably the most effective way. I am in Florida, and probably the most expensive place to ship from, so I hope you can find somewhere closer to California. You may also be able to find a freight forwarder on the east coast of the US that will ship to NZ, and that could cost the same as one from California.

The best place to find a hood like that is probably the southwest of the US, because of the climate. Southern California, Nevada, New Mexico, and Arizona are the best places to concentrate on for parts of that age.
Back to top Go down
79capriceNZ

PostSubject: Re: 79 caprice hood wanted   79 caprice hood wanted Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2018 10:59 pm

Thanks, yeah there are a couple of companies that ship solely to NZ from LA and that is reasonably cheap, the issue would be getting it to the LA company I guess, however the issue I've been having is actually finding one in a place that I dont have to be there to remove it myself.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: 79 caprice hood wanted   79 caprice hood wanted Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2018 10:18 am

79capriceNZ wrote:
Thanks, yeah there are a couple of companies that ship solely to NZ from LA and that is reasonably cheap, the issue would be getting it to the LA company I guess, however the issue I've been having is actually finding one in a place that I dont have to be there to remove it myself.

I would think that their would be a lot of those hoods still in California. Use those links from my above post and search by California zip code.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 79 caprice hood wanted   79 caprice hood wanted Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

79 caprice hood wanted
Page 1 of 1