GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dashing through the snow...

Go down 
+4
jasonlachapelle
dmg4
silverfox103
Dragonwagon
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Dragonwagon

Dashing through the snow... Empty
PostSubject: Dashing through the snow...   Dashing through the snow... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2018 8:59 pm

I got an invite from inlaws to join them next week for skiing. At this time of year, of course there are no reasonably-priced flights, so it will be a 2600-mile round trip by road.

My RMW has about 80K on the odometer and as far as I know, has never left Texas. Some of the rust stories scare me. Should I be concerned about a week's exposure to salt and snow? I could make the trip in another vehicle if that makes a difference in preserving the one that matters.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Dashing through the snow...   Dashing through the snow... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2018 10:53 pm

Go skiing, have a good time, but do NOT take that wagon in the snow and salt, you'll be sorry if you do.  Many of us store our cars for the winter, just for that reason.

Tom
New Hampshire

Last edited by silverfox103 on Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

PostSubject: Re: Dashing through the snow...   Dashing through the snow... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2018 8:51 am

My 2 cents: I've driven wagons in the snow for several winters, and I don't think I'd worry too much about a week in the salt if you washed the undercarriage, ports in the frame, engine bay, doors drains, etc., thoroughly with a hose and a LOT of water upon return. BUT, I still wouldn't take a wagon without 4 snow tires on it. The risk of doing some unintentional off-roading is high, especially on mountain roads. Without dedicated snow tires, these cars are really a poor option for snowy roads, and yes, you do need them on all four corners.

Rent a car if you don't have another option. It's cheaper than the tires you'd need, and it definitely cheaper than sliding into the back end of that Mercedes full of lawyers.
Back to top Go down
jasonlachapelle

jasonlachapelle

PostSubject: Re: Dashing through the snow...   Dashing through the snow... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2018 10:39 am

dmg4 wrote:
My 2 cents:  I've driven wagons in the snow for several winters, and I don't think I'd worry too much about a week in the salt if you washed the undercarriage, ports in the frame, engine bay, doors drains, etc., thoroughly with a hose and a LOT of water upon return.  BUT, I still wouldn't take a wagon without 4 snow tires on it.  The risk of doing some unintentional off-roading is high, especially on mountain roads.  Without dedicated snow tires, these cars are really a poor option for snowy roads, and yes, you do need them on all four corners.

Rent a car if you don't have another option.  It's cheaper than the tires you'd need, and it definitely cheaper than sliding into the back end of that Mercedes full of lawyers.

I agree 100%.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Dashing through the snow...   Dashing through the snow... Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2018 2:07 pm

""Should I be concerned about a week's exposure to salt and snow?""

Yes.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Dashing through the snow...   Dashing through the snow... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2018 10:22 am

Pffft,.

Last edited by phantom 309 on Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Dashing through the snow...   Dashing through the snow... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2018 10:25 am

Pffft,. A weeks worth of salt,.. thats funny right there,.

Don't go to snow country with texas tires,.is very good advice.

After you've been back in texas for 24 hrs things be so dry any salt residue will be dried up and will get washed away on rainy day,.
Back to top Go down
r67northern

r67northern

PostSubject: Re: Dashing through the snow...   Dashing through the snow... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2018 2:54 pm

I was thinking the damage would be minimal (probably a little surface rust on a couple of bolts and such?), especially if a good wash like others have suggested came as soon as you got it out of there.

But I’d hate the thought of exposing the wagon to that even if I knew it wasn’t making a big difference... so if I had the choice I’d just choose not to put it through it.

Back to top Go down
Dragonwagon

PostSubject: Re: Dashing through the snow...   Dashing through the snow... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2019 10:30 pm

I ended up leaving the wagon at home.

There was zero snow on the road the entire round trip, but better safe than sorry.
Back to top Go down
CBurne7

CBurne7

PostSubject: Re: Dashing through the snow...   Dashing through the snow... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2019 7:52 pm

Do people not wash their cars after it snows? Just wash your car if you drive it in salt next time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bomb.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dashing through the snow...   Dashing through the snow... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dashing through the snow...
Page 1 of 1