GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Engine stalls, MIL burns

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BuickRM

Engine stalls, MIL burns Empty
PostSubject: Engine stalls, MIL burns   Engine stalls, MIL burns Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2019 6:13 am

Guys,
my 94 BRM starts to make troubles, it starts very hard when cold, needs a lot of gas, doesn´t start without and sometimes as well when hot. When cruising and the engine warms up, it stutters and stalls and the MIL is coming up for a few seconds ( "engine service soon") then it disappears again.

Some years ago someone (maybe Fred) adviced me to check out the faults codes with the air condition display what worked perfect, unfourtunatley I forgot how to perform that

Can you tell me again how it works, what buttons has to be pressed? In my fat manual, this way reading the fault codes is not descriped at all, only how to blink or using the tech 1.
Once the engine is running hot, it works perfect, no stutter. Maybe it´s the water temp sensor, but just a suggestion.
Thanks for help !
Back to top Go down
rauldelp

rauldelp

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalls, MIL burns   Engine stalls, MIL burns Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2019 10:26 am

I found this here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

He apparently got it from ISSF:

Instructions for putting ACC in diagnostic mode -
- turn ignition to ON position (or start vehicle)
- press and hold the "temp up" and "OFF" buttons at the same time until the unit does a full segment check.
- Release the buttons.
- Display should read -00... you are now in diagnostic mode
- Using the fan up/down buttons, select desired function from above
- press the "middle" Button. It should be in the top right corner on the CC.
- To Exit the trouble code area, and go back to the -00 display, hit the "Middle" button again.

I've got a 93 so I can't test it but it sounds right i think.

Good luck!

I just thought of something though, could it be your MAF sensor? You could try unplugging it and see if it improves. Do you smell fuel when it does start?
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalls, MIL burns   Engine stalls, MIL burns Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2019 11:28 am

I had a similar issue some years back and it turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator on the back of the intake. Info here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Good luck and hope you sort it out!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
BuickRM

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalls, MIL burns   Engine stalls, MIL burns Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2019 6:23 am

Thanks a lot for your links. Reading the several values did work, I suggested that the coolant temp sensor might be the reason, but it´s ok, engine warm is 90°C. What I´m a bit confused about is that if I switch the headlights, the coolant temp jumps down to 53 °C , jumps around a bit in this range and jumps back then to 90°. My wife and I found out whilst driving that the car is sometimes stuttering once the headlights are on and the engine warms up yet. Happened to me recently. How could the headlights / switch (?) influence the coolant temp?

Another question: If a trouble code is stored, how is it displayed? Have I to "search" for it or will it be displayed already if I call up the default value units ? For instance: If I call -24 engine coolant temp. , will a possible trouble code be displayed in this mode without any added action?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine stalls, MIL burns   Engine stalls, MIL burns Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engine stalls, MIL burns
Page 1 of 1