GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hood release cable

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sprocket

Sprocket

Hood release cable Empty
PostSubject: Hood release cable   Hood release cable Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2019 8:15 am

On my son's 92, pulling the hood release won't open the hood. the cable is not broken.
I know they stretch out over time. He is in VA and its very cold and his battery died overnight so the car won't start and can't get the hood open.

So folks, how to get it open? I suggested that he grab the cable in the car with vice grips (how I got one to open once) but is there another way?????????

Thanks in advance.

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Hood release cable Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hood release cable   Hood release cable Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2019 8:37 am

There are a couple of techniques. First try banging on the hood at the hood ornament while someone pulls the release. Second, you can remove the grille for access to the latch. You need a bent pick to hit the release lever from the top. You may also be able to slip the cable shroud off of the latch assembly, and pull on the cable if it is not moving far enough. If the cable has stretched, you can put a small split shot sinker over the end of the cable, and crimp it to the cable.
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Hood release cable Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hood release cable   Hood release cable Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2019 10:40 am

Thanks, He got it open by taking off the grille. I went home after work and took a good pic of the latch on my car so he could see what he needed to pull/how it operated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hood release cable Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hood release cable   Hood release cable Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hood release cable
Page 1 of 1