GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Texas Blue-Northers are something else man....

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... Empty
PostSubject: Texas Blue-Northers are something else man....   Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2019 10:07 am

When I left my office here in Austin Texas yesterday afternoon at 5pm it was 72-degrees and a sunny/beautiful day.  I walk around Lake Pflugerville every evening...3-miles, and I got a really good view as a Texas "Blue Norther" came in at around 5:30.    I totally understand you folks to the north will laugh, but it's pretty wild when we get these.   You can see this black wall of clouds up to the north, and the wind goes from calm to 40mph gusts in the span of 5-mins.   When I started walking it was still 70-degrees, and an hour later when I got back to my "basic-white" Roadmaster at around 6:30 it was down to 54-degrees with high/cold winds, and we got down to freezing later on last night.   Today we'll be lucky to hit 50-degrees...which again I understand is springtime for the northern folks, but is COLD for us down here.   ANYWAY I nabbed these pics at the lake as the Norther blew in.   January in Texas....if you don't like the weather...wait 5-mins and it'll change....

Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... 50898510
Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... 51023210
Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... 51082910
Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... 51178810
Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... 51243210
Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... 51260310
Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... 51050910
Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... 50787710
Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... 50916910

Wherever you are today, stay WARM folks!

-Texas Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Texas Blue-Northers are something else man....   Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2019 10:18 am

Happily the winds are blowing back from the south now and pushing the cold back toward the north here in Austin. Still chilly this morning, but looking better...and working for that weekend!

Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... 48783010

You folks to the north and especially in the midwest...man you guys stay safe! Listening to the weather reports on NPR commuting to work this morning....I just can't imagine cold like that!

-Texas Mike
Back to top Go down
chevy man

chevy man

PostSubject: Re: Texas Blue-Northers are something else man....   Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2019 12:21 pm

Lemme tell you about cold. Woke up this morning it was -40. When it get this cold they also factor in wind chill. That made it -50. Foggy drive to work. Except it wasn't normal fog. Ice crystal fog. Looks like regular fog. All this going on 70 miles north of the US border. There's a reason we call this the Great White North
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Texas Blue-Northers are something else man....   Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2019 4:24 pm

chevy man wrote:
Lemme tell you about cold. Woke up this morning it was -40. When it get this cold they also factor in wind chill. That made it -50. Foggy drive to work. Except it wasn't normal fog. Ice crystal fog. Looks like regular fog. All this going on 70 miles north of the US border. There's a reason we call this the Great White North

Ice crystal fog?????

Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... Stares10
Back to top Go down
chevy man

chevy man

PostSubject: Re: Texas Blue-Northers are something else man....   Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2019 4:26 pm

Yep. Wouldn't kid about something like that
Back to top Go down
chevy man

chevy man

PostSubject: Re: Texas Blue-Northers are something else man....   Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2019 4:28 pm

Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Texas Blue-Northers are something else man....   Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2019 4:50 pm

chevy man wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_fog

"Supposedly, early settlers called it "white death" because they believed the crystals got into their lungs and caused death"

Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... Maxres10

HOW do you live in that climate?? I guess people feel the same about me living in 100+ degree weather from June-Sept...but dang...I can go jump in the lake and be fine....

lol!
Back to top Go down
chevy man

chevy man

PostSubject: Re: Texas Blue-Northers are something else man....   Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2019 5:08 pm

I can jump in the lake in the summer also. Not 100 everyday but in 80's in summer. Record is about 104.
In the winter we just layer up. Toys stay in the garage. Godd news we dont get hurricanes. Id rather add clothes and know my house will be here next day
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Texas Blue-Northers are something else man....   Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2019 5:19 pm

chevy man wrote:
I can jump in the lake in the summer also. Not 100 everyday but in 80's in summer. Record is about 104.
In the winter we just layer up. Toys stay in the garage. Godd news we dont get hurricanes. Id rather add clothes and know my house will be here next day

Well I don't sweat hurricanes in Austin, we're far enough from the coast, and thankfully tornados tend to stay north of us from Waco to Dallas and north, but we DO get hail, and the summer sun can be brutal on interior trim too, so my cars stay in the garage or carport from April-Sept and when out or at work I try to park under a tree whenever possible.

This...is not...a joke:
Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... Cf6d1710

Take Care!

-Michael
Back to top Go down
chevy man

chevy man

PostSubject: Re: Texas Blue-Northers are something else man....   Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2019 5:26 pm

Shade is good here in the summer also. Heats not as relentless but interiors are not that happy with the sun. B body dashes crack after a while. We also get hail and our government insurance will write off our cars because of it. If the car is not specifically insured as a collector car and older than 94 its gone
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Texas Blue-Northers are something else man....   Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2019 6:27 pm

chevy man wrote:
Shade is good here in the summer also. Heats not as relentless but interiors are not that happy with the sun. B body dashes crack after a while. We also get hail and our government insurance will write off our cars because of it. If the car is not specifically insured as a collector car and older than 94 its gone

For HAIL? Holy cow, that's wild.
Back to top Go down
chevy man

chevy man

PostSubject: Re: Texas Blue-Northers are something else man....   Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2019 9:32 am

Government insurance. It sucks
Back to top Go down
Danr63

Danr63

PostSubject: Re: Texas Blue-Northers are something else man....   Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2019 5:09 pm

The -40 was brutal! Took out (helped along and existing issue) the old 96 rodie. The old water pump fail pouring coolant onto the distributor and blowing up the opti spark! The cold was like a spell we had here back in the early 80's. It hurt to just walk out side.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Texas Blue-Northers are something else man....   Texas Blue-Northers are something else man.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Texas Blue-Northers are something else man....
Page 1 of 1