GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

4L60E transmission magnet

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
68JCode

4L60E transmission magnet Empty
PostSubject: 4L60E transmission magnet   4L60E transmission magnet Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2019 9:12 am

Morning everyone,

I am in the middle of a trans fluid change on my 1995 Caprice Wagon with 136K mikes. One of the pan bolts gave me a fight, but I managed to get the pan down and the fluid drained last night.

I was surprised to find that there was no magnet in the pan! I am taking this as slightly good news since that means the transmission has been serviced at least once in it's life, slightly bad news that the tech forgot to put the magnet back in.

I am assuming there should be a magnet in there and plan to procure one and install - any reason not to do this? Will I disable a solenoid or harm any other onboard electronics?

Thanks,

Andrew
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: 4L60E transmission magnet   4L60E transmission magnet Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2019 1:26 pm

If you put it in the original spot, it should not cause any issues.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: 4L60E transmission magnet   4L60E transmission magnet Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2019 2:51 pm

To second this, there is not much space inside a stock B-body 4L60E pan. Way back in the day, I once tried to add a drain bolt only to discover that now the shift linkage was hitting it! (of course, now I just pump it out via the cooler line method). But yeah, use those marking nubs as a guide. The bigger the magnet the better as it'll catch more stuff... as long as it will fit.
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: 4L60E transmission magnet   4L60E transmission magnet Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2019 12:18 pm

Just to follow up on this thread, yes, always put a magnet in. Put it in the stock location, and if you can, add extra ones to collect metal dust and keep them away from the EPC solenoid (passenger side rear next to the wiring harness location). I know for a fact the EPC solenoid and the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) in the tailshaft are very magnetic and tend to collect metal dust around them over time.

For whatever reason, used GM ones are selling for $10 APIECE on ebay as I write this which is ridiculous. I bought extras from a trans shop for $2.25 apiece on my most recent order, and really any magnet will do as long as there's space in the pan for it (double check before you bolt the pan on!).
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: 4L60E transmission magnet   4L60E transmission magnet Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 5:55 pm

I use a rare earth magnet on the outside of the pan,. It won't fall off,. Unless you high centre on something,
Take pan down, turn it over remove magnet,. Makes cleaning the pan easy,.

Yrmv
Nweoi
Pdcc
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: 4L60E transmission magnet   4L60E transmission magnet Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2019 9:22 pm

phantom 309 wrote:
I use a rare earth magnet on the outside of the pan,. It won't fall off,. Unless you high centre on something,
Take pan down, turn it over remove magnet,. Makes cleaning the pan easy,.
Does it just collect a big glob of stuff on the other side of the pan?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4L60E transmission magnet   4L60E transmission magnet Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

4L60E transmission magnet
Page 1 of 1