HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share
 

 Hi longroofers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
revlimitbounce

revlimitbounce

Posts : 10
Join date : 2019-03-13
Location : AZ

Hi longroofers Empty
PostSubject: Hi longroofers   Hi longroofers Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2019 6:00 pm

Hello forum-goers:

New guy here. Interested in amassing information, buying a late wagon and potentially building a project car for a series of articles for one of the magazines/sites I write for.

At first, I was only thinking Caprice wagon, but the more I dig, the more I think I should also consider a Roadmaster wagon, too.

Anyway, a little about me. I'm an automotive journalist that covers every part of that world from regular road test/evaluations/critiques of new cars to motorsports to emerging technology (like autonomous driving and battery electric cars) and more but I hate to bore people. I started in the hobby with sports cars and road racing, learned what I know about chassis dynamics from that, then got into American musclecars and drag racing. So, I'm not a one-channel, one-track guy who identifies only with one brand or one segment of the hobby.

Also, just to address one thing right away, I will not use this as a platform to promote my work. I have a few journalist friends who've done that and gotten some virtual rotten fruit thrown at them for it and I don't like messes....

I live in Phoenix with my family and spend what little spare time I have playing guitar with a few different friends and bands, mostly in the classic R&B, rock, funk and jazz genres.

Glad to be here and learn all I can about the late B body longroof creature in order to obtain, work and hopefully journalize on one.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

Posts : 5582
Join date : 2008-11-04
Location : Palm Beach County

Hi longroofers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi longroofers   Hi longroofers Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2019 8:09 pm

Welcome aboard! I for one applaud you for picking one up. Depending on how you want to go about the project I would offer this advice:

If you plan on using a 90s LT1 engine, buy a 94-96 wagon. Only engine offered those 3 years. If you plan on a swap (like an LS or other based engine, I'd say buy a 91-93 TBI engine car.

Why? An LS Swap will be the same amount of work in either and the TBI cars are generally less expensive to purchase (especially the 305 powered ones) so they are better candidates. Additionally if you go that route, consider a 91-92 Olds Custom Cruiser. Personally, I think they were the best looking of the three and wish they would have stuck around until the LT1 came along.

There is a sticky with production numbers so you can get an idea of how many of each were built each year. I spent a few months gathering that data and as you will read in the thread, it's the best guess as to how many were really built.

Look forward to getting to know you better, and one word of caution. THey are like potato chips, it's hard to have just one....lol
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

Posts : 9876
Join date : 2010-06-23
Age : 45
Location : Round Rock Texas

Hi longroofers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi longroofers   Hi longroofers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2019 9:25 am

Welcome! If you are going to build a wagon I second finding a 91-92 Olds Custom Cruiser. I think they hard the cleanest styling inside and out. I love the gauges and the trim...all they lacked was a MOTOR. This was my '92, and it was about the strongest TBI car you could get, with the 350 and towing package. It wasn't a dog by any stretch, but my LT1-powered '96 Roadmaster Wagon would run off and leave it for dead.
Hi longroofers Tires_17
Hi longroofers 442_wh14

If you can find a clean Roadmaster at a reasonable price, you'll love it. I plan to keep my 96 forever.
Hi longroofers 28575511

Good Luck!

-Texas Mike
Back to top Go down
brokecello
Moderator
brokecello

Posts : 3435
Join date : 2009-05-28
Age : 40
Location : Greenville, SC

Hi longroofers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi longroofers   Hi longroofers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2019 12:16 pm

Welcome!  

If you are just wanting a wagon to cruise in and enjoy...I would recommend the TBI Roadmaster Wagon or Old Custom Cruiser. The interiors are much better built (door panels / dash) than the 94-96 LT1 Roadmasters but you do lack some of the speed and power the LT1 wagons have. The Olds shares the same door panel design with the Caprice and Impala SS...so that lets you obtain repro parts and goodies down the line.  

I own a 95 Roadmaster currently, but still miss my 91 Olds. It was one of my favorite wagons. I put cloth Bonneville seats in it and it was sooo nice. My wife and I drove it on several long trips throughout the country.  

Hi longroofers <a href=Hi longroofers IMG_1766" />Hi longroofers <a href=Hi longroofers IMG_1774" />


This is my current Roadmaster (which the woody ones are fun since you can easily change the look buy changing the "sticker") with the latest wood.  

Hi longroofers 53809411
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
revlimitbounce

revlimitbounce

Posts : 10
Join date : 2019-03-13
Location : AZ

Hi longroofers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi longroofers   Hi longroofers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2019 9:11 pm

Indeed, and thanks.

Sprocket wrote:
Welcome aboard!  I for one applaud you for picking one up.  Depending on how you want to go about the project I would offer this advice:

If you plan on using a 90s LT1 engine, buy a 94-96 wagon.  Only engine offered those 3 years.  If you plan on a swap (like an LS or other based engine, I'd say buy a 91-93 TBI engine car.  

Why? An LS Swap will be the same amount of work in either and the TBI cars are generally less expensive to purchase (especially the 305 powered ones) so they are better candidates.   Additionally if you go that route, consider a 91-92 Olds Custom Cruiser.   Personally, I think they were the best looking of the three and wish they would have stuck around until the LT1 came along.

There is a sticky with production numbers so you can get an idea of how many of each were built each year.  I spent a few months gathering that data and as you will read in the thread, it's the best guess as to how many were really built.

Look forward to getting to know you better, and one word of caution.   THey are like potato chips, it's hard to have just one....lol
Back to top Go down
revlimitbounce

revlimitbounce

Posts : 10
Join date : 2019-03-13
Location : AZ

Hi longroofers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi longroofers   Hi longroofers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2019 9:12 pm

Great info; thanks!

81X11 wrote:
Welcome!   If you are going to build a wagon I second finding a 91-92 Olds Custom Cruiser.   I think they hard the cleanest styling inside and out.   I love the gauges and the trim...all they lacked was a MOTOR.   This was my '92, and it was about the strongest TBI car you could get, with the 350 and towing package.   It wasn't a dog by any stretch, but my LT1-powered '96 Roadmaster Wagon would run off and leave it for dead.
Hi longroofers Tires_17
Hi longroofers 442_wh14

If you can find a clean Roadmaster at a reasonable price, you'll love it.   I plan to keep my 96 forever.
Hi longroofers 28575511
 
Good Luck!

-Texas Mike
Back to top Go down
revlimitbounce

revlimitbounce

Posts : 10
Join date : 2019-03-13
Location : AZ

Hi longroofers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi longroofers   Hi longroofers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2019 9:17 pm

I wasn't aware of the interior quality thing. That's interesting. Though, from an aftermarket perspective, the market favors Chevy for nearly everything and as a potential magazine project car, I have to weigh that part of it. But were there no chance of that, I'd likely do a Roadmaster or OCC.

Thanks!

brokecello wrote:
Welcome!  

If you are just wanting a wagon to cruise in and enjoy...I would recommend the TBI Roadmaster Wagon or Old Custom Cruiser. The interiors are much better built (door panels / dash) than the 94-96 LT1 Roadmasters but you do lack some of the speed and power the LT1 wagons have.  The Olds shares the same door panel design with the Caprice and Impala SS...so that lets you obtain repro parts and goodies down the line.   

I own a 95 Roadmaster currently, but still miss my 91 Olds. It was one of my favorite wagons. I put cloth Bonneville seats in it and it was sooo nice. My wife and I drove it on several long trips throughout the country.  

Hi longroofers <a href=Hi longroofers IMG_1766" />Hi longroofers <a href=Hi longroofers IMG_1774" />


This is my current Roadmaster (which the woody ones are fun since you can easily change the look buy changing the "sticker") with the latest wood.  

Hi longroofers 53809411
Back to top Go down
revlimitbounce

revlimitbounce

Posts : 10
Join date : 2019-03-13
Location : AZ

Hi longroofers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi longroofers   Hi longroofers Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2019 11:03 pm

You know, I am wondering about new alternatives to the basically-unobtainable T84 EU-market headlight assemblies. I've driven enough of these cars to know the stock headlights are lacking.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
Moderator
brokecello

Posts : 3435
Join date : 2009-05-28
Age : 40
Location : Greenville, SC

Hi longroofers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi longroofers   Hi longroofers Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2019 9:17 am

revlimitbounce wrote:
You know, I am wondering about new alternatives to the basically-unobtainable T84 EU-market headlight assemblies. I've driven enough of these cars to know the stock headlights are lacking.

For a long while, I was running a smoked version of THIS headlight.  I also had a set of High/Low HID headlights as well (and took the time to aim them correctly).  It provided ample light for my needs...and I have a lot of dark 2 lane roads when I am.  My friend runs the exact headlights linked above with stock bulbs and says they are still a great improvement over the stock lenses.  I would not run normal bulbs in the smoked lens FYI.

I do run the T84s now (with the higher watt H4 bulbs), but mainly did that for looks and to cross off a "bucket list" item. The light output is more "normal" looking with this combo, but I honestly could see just as well with the other lenses and HIDs.    

Hi longroofers Photo-48-2
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
JeffY

JeffY

Posts : 93
Join date : 2018-10-04
Age : 38
Location : Columbia MO

Hi longroofers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi longroofers   Hi longroofers Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2019 12:13 pm

Welcome! I would have to agree that the OCC looks the best, and it has the vista roof. They are getting hard to find though.
Back to top Go down
revlimitbounce

revlimitbounce

Posts : 10
Join date : 2019-03-13
Location : AZ

Hi longroofers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi longroofers   Hi longroofers Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2019 8:15 pm

Thanks for this, brokecello. Where did you find the T84s? Have you had them for a long time?

Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Posts : 1685
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 44
Location : Belleview,FL

Hi longroofers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi longroofers   Hi longroofers Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2019 8:25 pm

Welcome. Interested in seeing any articles you may come up with.

Should be a lot of interest in swapping a TBI car to an LS based engine if you decide to go that route.
Back to top Go down
brokecello
Moderator
brokecello

Posts : 3435
Join date : 2009-05-28
Age : 40
Location : Greenville, SC

Hi longroofers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi longroofers   Hi longroofers Icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2019 10:35 am

revlimitbounce wrote:
Thanks for this, brokecello. Where did you find the T84s? Have you had them for a long time?


I bought them from a member on this Forum actually (Summer '17 I believe). They are still out there, you just have to ask around or wait out the OG crowd that decides to liquidate their stash (which is how I obtained mine).


Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChrisPowellmusic.com
revlimitbounce

revlimitbounce

Posts : 10
Join date : 2019-03-13
Location : AZ

Hi longroofers Empty
PostSubject: shortened rear bumper?    Hi longroofers Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2019 2:51 am

By the way, brokecello -- what's the deal with that shortened rear bumper? Is there a part out there in the universe, or was that custom made?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

Posts : 127
Join date : 2018-05-16
Location : Jersey Shore

Hi longroofers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi longroofers   Hi longroofers Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2019 6:20 pm

I switched my headlights to the silverstone ultras. Not very ultra in the wagon, but a big improvement from stock, actually functional. Would love to read about some of the LED conversion comparisons.
Back to top Go down
94Woody

94Woody

Posts : 1685
Join date : 2008-12-02
Age : 44
Location : Belleview,FL

Hi longroofers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi longroofers   Hi longroofers Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2019 7:01 pm

revlimitbounce wrote:
By the way, brokecello -- what's the deal with that shortened rear bumper? Is there a part out there in the universe, or was that custom made?

Thanks!

That is a roll pan. Not sure where folks get them from these days.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Hi longroofers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi longroofers   Hi longroofers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
Hi longroofers
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: The Welcome Wagon :: Introductions...-
Jump to: