GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Strange on the road hiccup

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RadioFlyer

Strange on the road hiccup Empty
PostSubject: Strange on the road hiccup   Strange on the road hiccup Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2019 2:28 pm

I recently purchased a 91 OCC with the TBI 305. All stock with 211,000miles on it. The car was about 250 miles from home. After a brief inspection and test drive we hit the road. The car drove extremely well with the cruise set at 75. About 50 miles from home I went to pass some slower traffic when suddenly the car started slowing down, the tach fluttered and it shut off. I coasted to a stop and thought possibly even though the volts were showing good I had maybe been driving on battery alone. Luckily I had brought a full set of tools including a voltmeter so I checked and the battery showed 12.7 volts. After that I tried restarting the car and it cranked right back up. The alternator showed 14.4 volts. I continued on with no further issue.

Is this an issue you guys have seen before? I was thinking possibly a hiccup in the distributor module or a fuel pump and/or relay issue?

Thanks in advance for any ideas. I really like the car. Just a little spooked after this episode.
Back to top Go down
RedandBlack

RedandBlack

PostSubject: Re: Strange on the road hiccup   Strange on the road hiccup Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2019 2:40 pm

RE: Fuel pump: On the TBI cars, there's a little rubber hose that dry rots and splits in the tank preventing fuel to get up through the sending unit and lines.

When mine died, it was similar. It stalled and died in a parking lot and restarted no issues. Then died again on the way home and wouldn't refire.

Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Strange on the road hiccup   Strange on the road hiccup Icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 12:07 pm

The tach will always flutter when the engine quits. It is a result of not getting a signal from the distributor.

The hose is probably the first thing to check, but it is a PITA to remove the gas tank. The drop off of power is usually a fuel problem.

The second check would be the ground at the thermostat. Electrical issues are usually abrupt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strange on the road hiccup   Strange on the road hiccup Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Strange on the road hiccup
Page 1 of 1