GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Engine looses power around corners / hesitates around 50 MPH

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
andrewchayes1

Engine looses power around corners / hesitates around 50 MPH  Empty
PostSubject: Engine looses power around corners / hesitates around 50 MPH    Engine looses power around corners / hesitates around 50 MPH  Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2019 9:17 pm

Hi Everyone,

Hoping for some help here before I start spending serious $$ at my mechanic’s shop. My ‘96 RMW recently started doing two things:
- Losing all power (though not cutting out) when coming around sharp corners. I’ve noticed it on the long sweeping turns you often get on freeway entrances. Last time it happened gas tank was about 1/4 full and I was going around a right hand turn.

- Hesitating around 50MPH - I’ll be cruising and want to overtake someone, and on the first tap of the throttle can feel the engine ‘miss’. Once it’s over this, the car accelerates strongly.

Started happening initially after I hadn’t used the car much for about 6 weeks so I first thought the second problem could be bad / old gas. It’s gotten better as I’ve used it more, but it hasn’t gone away.

I’ve had the following replaced over the last 12 months or so to solve various other issues;
- fuel pump
- fuel filter
- optispark
- distributor cap
- rotor
- ignition wires
- harmonic balancer
- throttle body
- throttle body hoses
- left top oxygen sensor
- spark plugs

I have a replacement coil yet but haven’t yet had it fitted.

The ‘Service Engine Now’ has not come on, and the engine idles smoothly.

Could I have got a bad replacement fuel pump? It could explain the loss of power around corners, but wouldn’t explain the hesitation. I’m thinking that could be a bad EGR valve.

Would love the communities thoughts and ideas.

Andrew
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Engine looses power around corners / hesitates around 50 MPH  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine looses power around corners / hesitates around 50 MPH    Engine looses power around corners / hesitates around 50 MPH  Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2019 6:35 am

Does the power loss occur in turns of either direction, or only one? Have you checked your fuel pressure regulator? Have you redone your grounds? Just in case, pull any codes in the computer.
Back to top Go down

Engine looses power around corners / hesitates around 50 MPH
Page 1 of 1