GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Throttle body top plate question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sleeperwagon

Throttle body top plate question Empty
PostSubject: Throttle body top plate question   Throttle body top plate question Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 12:28 am

Probably a dumb question but here goes- I got a replacement gasket set for the throttle body because the rubber top plate gasket was getting swollen and distorted. The replacement fiber gasket is cut out around 2 projections on the underside of the plate. There is no supporting metal around one of them, and the gasket doesn't actually seal around either. Neither seems to be a passage and I can't for the life of me figure out what either is for. Do the aftermarket dress-up plates even have them? What do they do?
Back to top Go down
Sleeperwagon

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body top plate question   Throttle body top plate question Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 12:32 am

Pic for clarity-

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sleeperwagon

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body top plate question   Throttle body top plate question Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 12:41 am

Throttle body-

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body top plate question   Throttle body top plate question Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 10:59 am

I removed the rubber inner portion of mine years ago, and just replaced the gasket that you have in your pic. You'll have a vacuum leak if you run it without the gasket.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Sleeperwagon

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body top plate question   Throttle body top plate question Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 9:48 pm

I'm not planning on running it without the gasket, just trying to figure out what the little plastic projections that stick through the gasket are there for. They seem to have no purpose
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body top plate question   Throttle body top plate question Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 10:12 pm

I'll guess L98 TB. No google.
Back to top Go down
Fix Until Broke

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body top plate question   Throttle body top plate question Icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2019 10:32 pm

Maybe they're for assembly purposes? So the person putting 100 of these on an hour can just set it on and not have to worry about lining up any holes to thread the bolts in?

Something like this is not typically a big deal to us working on our own car, but when you have to put a lot of these on all in a row, it probably saves a few seconds each time and reduces the likelihood of a stripped/cross thread bolt, cut gasket, etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Throttle body top plate question   Throttle body top plate question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Throttle body top plate question
Page 1 of 1