GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How Regulation Killed the Station Wagon and Created the Minivan

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
rjathon

rjathon

How Regulation Killed the Station Wagon and Created the Minivan Empty
PostSubject: How Regulation Killed the Station Wagon and Created the Minivan   How Regulation Killed the Station Wagon and Created the Minivan Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2019 2:14 pm

Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: How Regulation Killed the Station Wagon and Created the Minivan   How Regulation Killed the Station Wagon and Created the Minivan Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2019 3:07 pm

from the article wrote:
It's ironic, because there might have been less fuel consumed had the government just left station wagons alone rather than instead effectively pushing consumers into even bigger minivans. The unintended consequences of regulations can be hard to predict, but it's not hard to predict that there will be some, because there almost invariably are.

Yep. And the question which must always be asked is "is it absolutely necessary for the government to mandate this, or will the market move in that direction anyway?" Given the size of today's pickups, SUVs and minivans and that they've become the vehicle of choice (Obama-era wheelbase-related standards no doubt helped), it's very valid to wonder if the government had simply regulated emissions, would people still be in large cars that were more aerodynamic and fuel efficient than what we have now.
Back to top Go down
Mark 96 Roady

PostSubject: Re: How Regulation Killed the Station Wagon and Created the Minivan   How Regulation Killed the Station Wagon and Created the Minivan Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2019 7:59 pm

I've always thought one of the biggest reasons people got away from wagons was the fact that they are rear wheel drive. Piloting a car that big, with no weight in the back, takes some skill, and you will still probably get stuck at some point. I always had company front wheel drive cars when I worked, and no matter how deep the snow, I never got stuck. Now that I'm typing this, are all mini vans FWD? I think they are. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Regulation Killed the Station Wagon and Created the Minivan   How Regulation Killed the Station Wagon and Created the Minivan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How Regulation Killed the Station Wagon and Created the Minivan
Page 1 of 1