HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Blue smoke after engine runs for a few minutes

Go down 
AuthorMessage
RadioFlyer

Blue smoke after engine runs for a few minutes Empty
PostSubject: Blue smoke after engine runs for a few minutes   Blue smoke after engine runs for a few minutes Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2019 10:54 am

First a little background information. 91 OCC, 211,xxx miles on it. When I bought it I realized that it needed valve stem seals. Typical blue smoke when leaving a stop light then it would clear out. Purchased it 250 miles from my home and it did this the entire trip. Since then I have replaced all the valve stem seals. While doing those we noticed that the oil drain holes in the head were clogged so I tried to clear them with a screwdriver. The seal job was done about 40 miles from my house. Drove home with no smoke. Let the car sit for about 10 days and when I went to start it and let it run while checking other things it starting smoking and no amount of revving the engine would blow it out. The neighborhood looked like a fog bank had rolled through. I then ran Amsoil engine flush through per the instructions and changed the oil. Inside of engine is cleaner but same result when car is started. Pulled the oil fill cap to check for excessive vacuum or pressure thinking it may be a PCV issue and noticed the oil was covering the valve spring. So I pulled the covers again and used bore cleaning brushes to really scrub the drain back holes. Pushed them down at least 3 to 4 inches. Put it back together and same result. Crank it up no smoke. Let it run for about 5 minutes and blue smoke for miles. I have not driven it while it has been doing this because I also am having a fuel pump issue that I have not addressed yet and don't want to get stuck on the side of the highway again. So any ideas on any other avenues I should explore before I pull the engine? I'm leaning towards rings but I am no expert so any advice and shared knowledge would be greatly appreciated. I am ready to drive this thing without fear of shutting off OR people thinking mosquito patrol has a new old vehicle.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

Blue smoke after engine runs for a few minutes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue smoke after engine runs for a few minutes   Blue smoke after engine runs for a few minutes Icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:18 pm

It could be the valve guides. I just bought a 92 OCC that had that problem. The previous owner had the heads rebuilt, and it no longer smokes.
Back to top Go down

Blue smoke after engine runs for a few minutes
Page 1 of 1