GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

TBI Coolant Level Sensor help

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
r67northern

r67northern

TBI Coolant Level Sensor help Empty
PostSubject: TBI Coolant Level Sensor help   TBI Coolant Level Sensor help Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 1:08 pm

Hi All,

In the midst of doing a radiator replace, I separated the threads on the little coolant level sensor that sits in the radiator for these TBI engines. Seems like it's a part that can't be had anymore...

It looks like it's just a simple little part, basically a strip of metal surrounded by plastic (brittle) threads. Any advice on this? I'm considering "faking out" the system by adding a resistor to the sensor wire and perhaps grounding it out if I get the right resistivity off the broken sensor. I guess I could pull the dashboard Low Coolant light out too...

Any input appreciated. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: TBI Coolant Level Sensor help   TBI Coolant Level Sensor help Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 10:05 pm

The last time I saw one was about 2 years ago, and it was about $35. I have a good used one for $35 shipped. LMK. Use antiseize when installing.
Back to top Go down
r67northern

r67northern

PostSubject: Re: TBI Coolant Level Sensor help   TBI Coolant Level Sensor help Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2019 12:14 pm

Fred Kiehl wrote:
The last time I saw one was about 2 years ago, and it was about $35. I have a good used one for $35 shipped. LMK. Use antiseize when installing.

Thanks Fred, I may be following up with you shortly on this. I’m taking a quick stab at adapting something that is still currently manufactured just for fun.
Back to top Go down
r67northern

r67northern

PostSubject: Re: TBI Coolant Level Sensor help   TBI Coolant Level Sensor help Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2019 8:01 pm

Hi Everyone,

I can report that this alternate sensor:
Standard Motor Products FLS3 Coolant Level Sensor [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

will work! Amazon (link above) sells these for about $6. It will screw in no problem and seal. The connector is a different design so you’ll have to adapt the original sensor wire to the new sensor. I did this with a spade connector into the original sensor wire, then jimmied up a female spade connector to fit over the new sensor. Works like a charm.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: TBI Coolant Level Sensor help   TBI Coolant Level Sensor help Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2019 8:14 pm

Good, now I will not have to hoard the OEM ones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TBI Coolant Level Sensor help   TBI Coolant Level Sensor help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TBI Coolant Level Sensor help
Page 1 of 1