GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bravada console conversion

Go down 
+2
lakeffect
200OZ
6 posters
AuthorMessage
200OZ
200OZ

bravada - Bravada console conversion Empty
PostSubject: Bravada console conversion   bravada - Bravada console conversion Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 12:20 am

Tim (BigBlackBeaSSt), and I (200OZ) are going to Put a Bravada console in Tim's '94 DGGM Buick Roadmaster, Thurs.
7/28/10. Should be done for WF'10 for Friday's activities.

[img]bravada - Bravada console conversion 72710030[/img]

[img]bravada - Bravada console conversion 72710033[/img]

[img]bravada - Bravada console conversion 72710038[/img]

Just a start. Got the transmission shifter bracket welded up.

Last edited by 200OZ on Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lakeffect

lakeffect

PostSubject: Re: Bravada console conversion   bravada - Bravada console conversion Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 7:42 am

Where you boys gonn a be in town? Send me a PM with the address and I'll try to stop by.

Dave
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Bravada console conversion   bravada - Bravada console conversion Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 8:31 am

You forgot one step - press the ball stud out and put it in backwards and you'll be all set.
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Bravada console conversion   bravada - Bravada console conversion Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 3:47 pm

thats how my ball stud faces. i tried it the other way and ran into problems. i know the blazers have it face the other way
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Bravada console conversion   bravada - Bravada console conversion Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 2:14 pm

The family truxter or G-Pa Mobile as the kids call it...............
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290056

Remove rear seat...... Have you ever vacuumed this pig!!
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290057

Remove Front seat #1
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290058

Remove Front seat #2
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290059

Start by placing the shifter in the approx place you would like it. Mike aligned the knob just shy of the pull out drawer when it is out. Avoiding any conflicts.
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290060

Set the console in to get a feel and comfort level for the alignment. You will have to live with it for a long time.......
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290062

Score or cut the carpet under the brackets & console.......... This made me nervous..........
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290064
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290066
Remove seat belts and carpet......................
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290067

Find rust in rear of car!! Maybe that is just me!! Then re-tiger hair the rear quarter...............
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290073

Spread your entire interior over your friends front lawn!!!!
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290072

Buy a set of professionally made mounting brackets from Mike and install the factory bracket to the front one.......
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290076

Mount the shifter..............
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290079

This is the rear bracket.... The top parts mounts to the back of the console with 4 small bolts through the carpet into the top portion of this mount........
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290081

Test fit the shifter and front bracket...............
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290084

Test fit the console................
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290085

Mike used two sheet met screws to hold the bracket in place while we drilled the holes and pop-riveted it into place. He used SS rivets.
Be sure is is aligned front to back and plum to the car. Mike also sealed all of the rivets with HD adhesive caulk. Magic stuff so I am told.
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290086

Based on the front bracket and shifter, test fit the rear bracket...................
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290088

Hole saw the floor...affraid DO NOT CRY AT THIS POINT!!!!!
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290087

Then use a sawzall to open the two holes to match the blazer grommet on the cable..............
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290090

Deny how rusty your car really is TIM!!!! Time for a rear rust proof job!!!!
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290091

Mount the bracket on the tranny from the Blazer/Bravada and remove the post cat exhaust hanger...........
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290092

Now using a short blade sawzall the hanger mount so the cable has clearance to run with out to many curves...............
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290098

Mount the cable into the floor... Be sure to seal it from the top..............
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290101

And the bottom.............
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290102
Mike found the drive shaft loop to be an ideal place to round and hold the cable..................

bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290103

Route the cable over the tranny cross member...............
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290105

Plug the cable into the tranny pan mount bracket......
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290104

Now you will need to remove the factory installed shifter bracket from the side of the tranny and replace it with the bracket you have re-made
three times..... or maybe it was just us. The ball must be facing out, contrary to how it was on the Bravada tranny. Note that the bracket below
is NOT the correct direction......

bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290111

You will need to re-connect the stock shift linkage to this piece as well as the blazer cable. This to keep your neutral safety switch, wheel lock
and shift indicator functional..............

Be sure to strap the cable up over the gas pedal so it does not become a hazard.............
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290109

The inside end of the cable can be mounted to the shifter now..................... Pretty straight forward................
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7290110

At this point you are pretty much committed to the shifter position. Time to alight the console under the shifter trim and pick the spot
for the rear bracket...............
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7300117

Align the console and with the top portion of the rear bracket mounted to the console finalize the final resting place for the rear bracket..
Drill and pop rivet............
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7300119

I added accessory ports to the console. These need to be wired up and thought out prior to re-installing carpet.............
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7300122

I used 10 guage wire and installed a power station of sorts under the console. If I ever want to power anything this is a great spot to have power.
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7300123

I also ran power to a factory harness to power the 6 way bonnie seat I put in the passenger side............. Not the heavy wire inline fuse and
equally heavy ground wire going to the shifter frame...........

I know you cannot see it very well, but we used long rectangular piece of insulation to build up the height of the carpet to match the console
to the carpet after the install. This is huge to make it look factory.... Look carfully under the carpet on the far side of the shifter. You will
need to do this the entire length of the console..... The insulation was about 3 inches thick x 3 inches deep..........
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7300125

Drive the pin out of the factory shift lever and remove........ Others have refinished this, but I will leave for now.............
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7300126

Assemble the console............
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7300128

bravada - Bravada console conversion P7300131

Re-install two passenger seats...... Or be indecisive like me and mix and match..............
bravada - Bravada console conversion P7310133

I cannot say thank you enough to Mike!!!!!!!!!!!! I love this mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by BigBlackBeaSSt on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Bravada console conversion   bravada - Bravada console conversion Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 2:50 pm

Those pics make it look easier than it was. I had a great time helping Tim with this on his car. I'm glad you still like it Tim.
Back to top Go down
BigBlackBeaSSt

BigBlackBeaSSt

PostSubject: Re: Bravada console conversion   bravada - Bravada console conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 7:04 pm

200OZ wrote:
Those pics make it look easier than it was. I had a great time helping Tim with this on his car. I'm glad you still like it Tim.

Text added making it seem closer to the actual difficulty!!!!!!!!!! Shocked I judged the difficulty by the beads of sweat rolling off Mikes head........... Laughing

Last edited by BigBlackBeaSSt on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mtrhead79

mtrhead79

PostSubject: Re: Bravada console conversion   bravada - Bravada console conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 8:31 pm

you guys did same as me i made the trans shifter arm 3 times. once the ball facing the trans, once with the two brackets holes lined up with each other then the right way with the ball facing out and down low enough to get the shifter cable lined up. it looked great tim
Back to top Go down
http://mtrhead79@aol.com

PostSubject: Re: Bravada console conversion   bravada - Bravada console conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 8:47 pm

This job terrifies me now. Literally, terrifies me. I don't think I'd ever have the courage to put that together. Sad It looks awesome.
Back to top Go down
200OZ
200OZ

PostSubject: Re: Bravada console conversion   bravada - Bravada console conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 9:28 pm

Roo,

Don't be scared, there are plenty of people on here to help you out if you find yourself in a predicament. You will love this mod on your wagon. It took Tim and I a day and a half or so, but that was two trips back into the city to re-weld the trans. bracket, I've got it down now. I may be able to get more of these shifter brackets and trans brackets made it some want them.

Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bravada console conversion   bravada - Bravada console conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 9:43 pm

I really like the way the Riviera consoles look. If I ever find a red one, I think I would buy it, but I think I would look at it for months out of fear I would ruin my carpet/seat or never find a set of seats I liked for it.

lol
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Bravada console conversion   bravada - Bravada console conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 10:26 pm

Roo Boy, I'm going to do one in my 94 and there is a local guy in Ft. Laud that has done a couple who is happy to help. Get a console and let's make is a party, lol.

Seriously I'm doing one and it can 't be too hard next to pulling a whole rear end apart, etc. ha ha ha.

I really love these cars as I've tackled so many projects I would have never tried before.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bravada console conversion   bravada - Bravada console conversion Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 10:27 pm

Maybe I'll pay you a visit over Christmas break, then. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bravada console conversion   bravada - Bravada console conversion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bravada console conversion
Page 1 of 1