GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Which thermostat?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Chevy freak '91

Chevy freak '91

Which thermostat? Empty
PostSubject: Which thermostat?   Which thermostat? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2019 3:28 am

Two months ago I've replaced my old 180 degree thermostat with a new 195 degree one, but since yesterday it seems already broken. The temp of the engine is much lower since yesterday and the heater doesn't become so warm anymore.
So, what could have caused this?
My guess is that I need a new thermostat. Should I buy a 195 degree one again? Or a 180 one?
I have a '91 Caprice 305.
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

Which thermostat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which thermostat?   Which thermostat? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2019 8:13 am

When is the last time you have flushed your heater core?

Tom
Back to top Go down
Walterf

Which thermostat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which thermostat?   Which thermostat? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2019 8:28 am

The 305 came from the factory with a 195 degree thermostat.
Back to top Go down
Chevy freak '91

Chevy freak '91

Which thermostat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which thermostat?   Which thermostat? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2019 10:13 am

Strange situation. I've replaced the thermostat with a new 195 degree one and the heater is now much warmer and the temperature meter reads a normal temperature now. So, I thought the old thermostat was broken. But I've tested it in boiling water and it opens and closes perfect. So, what's going on here?
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

Which thermostat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which thermostat?   Which thermostat? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2019 2:47 pm

A 195F degree thermostat that is open at 212F is not a positive test that it is working. It might open too early. Did you measure the temperature as the water approached boiling and before the thermostat opened? It would seem however that the problem is now solved.

I'd still flush the heater core if that's never been done before. After 27 years there are likely a few stroopwafels stuck in there.
Back to top Go down
Isurf

Isurf

Which thermostat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which thermostat?   Which thermostat? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2019 8:59 am

when i've tested thermostats, i put my wifes cooking thermometer in the pot to verify the opening temperature. Don't tell her....
Back to top Go down
dmg4
dmg4

Which thermostat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which thermostat?   Which thermostat? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2019 2:33 pm

Your secret is safe with me. I've cleaned auto parts in the dishwasher.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Which thermostat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which thermostat?   Which thermostat? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which thermostat?
Page 1 of 1