GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Clunk in rear end-95rmw

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
roadmasterBlue

Clunk in rear end-95rmw Empty
PostSubject: Clunk in rear end-95rmw   Clunk in rear end-95rmw Icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2019 2:02 pm

For the last couple of months I've noticed a distinct clunk in my rear end when shifting in reverse and sometimes when decelerating, especially to a full stop. My mechanic checked it out and said universals were ok, but when he put it up on a lift and would put into R he could hear a distinct passenger side clunk within the differential. Otherwise he said everything looked fine -nice and dry etc. he suggested going to a transmission shop.. I've continued to drive the car for another month or so around 4000 miles and it hasn't gotten any worse. If anything it seems to be a little better. Other than the clunk the car runs and drives beautifully. Currently at around 118k. Any ideas ?

Thanks for any advice
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Clunk in rear end-95rmw   Clunk in rear end-95rmw Icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2019 3:09 pm

Have you ever changed the rear end fluid? And assuming it's a posi, did you put in the additive?

Tom
Back to top Go down
roadmasterBlue

PostSubject: Re: Clunk in rear end-95rmw   Clunk in rear end-95rmw Icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2019 6:20 pm

I don’t know about fluid change before I got the car. It had 88K on it when I got it. I haven’t changed it. I suspect the previous owner might have but can’t be sure. It was a 1 owner by an older gentleman that bought it when he retired in ‘95 and only put on the 88K in the next 23 years. I had the car fax and it showed regular maintenance at the dealer where he bought it and lived in Florida. How can I tell if it’s posi without doing a burnout?
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Clunk in rear end-95rmw   Clunk in rear end-95rmw Icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2019 7:49 pm

Easiest way to tell: look under the hood, if there is one mechanical and one electrical cooling fan then it has a posi rear end. The vehicle label, I believe it is located on the rear door will have a code G08, indicating a posi rear end.

Tom
Back to top Go down
roadmasterBlue

PostSubject: Re: Clunk in rear end-95rmw   Clunk in rear end-95rmw Icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2019 8:02 pm

AXLE,REAR,2.56 RATIO 2.56R(GM8) Is what came back fro VIN DECODER
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Clunk in rear end-95rmw   Clunk in rear end-95rmw Icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2019 9:13 pm

Check your SPID on the gate pillar. It will have other G designations. let us know what they are, if any. The clunk could be gear lash, or a worn axle with a leaky seal. If the seal is leaking, you may have grease on the brakes, and it could cause the shoes to stick to the drum. Pull the RR drum, and check for grease. The axle should not wiggle when pushed front to back/up and down.

To check for fluid depth in the rear, remove the plug, and stick your finger in the hole. Fluid should be at the bottom of the hole.
Back to top Go down
Rev Bob

PostSubject: Re: Clunk in rear end-95rmw   Clunk in rear end-95rmw Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 6:30 am

The 2.56 gear did not come with limited slip from the factory.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Clunk in rear end-95rmw   Clunk in rear end-95rmw Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 7:33 am

The alert to this post go me here, and I thought of another possibility...It could be a bushing is worn out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clunk in rear end-95rmw   Clunk in rear end-95rmw Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clunk in rear end-95rmw
Page 1 of 1