HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trouble with trannys...Is that okay to say?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Andebe

Andebe

Trouble with trannys...Is that okay to say? Empty
PostSubject: Trouble with trannys...Is that okay to say?   Trouble with trannys...Is that okay to say? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2019 4:49 pm

It finally happened to me after nearly a dozen B-Bodies, I finally caught the dead tranny curse that plagues us all. I have a deal to get one from Tom, (Won't be caught without a back up again) but in planning for the future I ordered a custom build from Monster Transmissions. We have all seen them used on our favorite builder shows, they trust them, why shouldn't I? I mentioned this on Facebook, and was almost immediately told I should cancel this order. Followed with numerous horror stories of their work. What have you guys heard? I feel like I am getting conflicting reports...Would appreciate some feedback. Thanks in advance...
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with trannys...Is that okay to say?   Trouble with trannys...Is that okay to say? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 30, 2019 7:38 pm

A good local trans builder can put one together for you, and you probably will not have to pay for shipping. You tell him what you want to do with it, make it as heavy duty as you want. I had a custom trans built for my 454 install. If you supply the core (local P-N-P junk yard about $125-170), it should be about $1400-1500, and a $500 custom 2400 rpm stall torque converter from Circle D (special deal on right now) will handle anything your LT1 can throw at it. I installed it myself, and saved a few hundred dollars (I put the engine and trans in as a unit). It is actually easier to pull both, and separate them outside of the car, then join the new trans to the engine, and install it as a unit. You are still a young guy, and should be able to do it single handed. I swapped an engine last March by myself, and I am over 70.

When removing the engine/trans unit, cap the back of the trans or you will have an ocean of trans fluid under the car.
Back to top Go down
Andebe

Andebe

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with trannys...Is that okay to say?   Trouble with trannys...Is that okay to say? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2019 10:24 am

Apparently, I havent met the right type of builder. I discussed my idea with our local builder and he wanted no part of that. Outside of his comfort zone...
Back to top Go down
lamune

lamune

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with trannys...Is that okay to say?   Trouble with trannys...Is that okay to say? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2019 9:12 pm

Where I am, there aren't really many locals left, and the few I've spoken to would take the job to rebuild a 4L60E but they freely told me that a rebuild job they do themselves costs more and would have a shorter warranty period than getting a rebuilt unit from an outside rebuilding firm (Like Jasper or whatever)

I ended up getting a reman unit from Rock Auto, got a couple of friends over, and swapped it out myself. It's been fine so far.

By the way the local guys will build race transmissions no problem, but of course the parts/expertise there means higher margins and racing pretty much means no guarantees anyway.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with trannys...Is that okay to say?   Trouble with trannys...Is that okay to say? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2019 9:54 pm

You should have a "Beast" shell, and heavy duty clutches. The Beast shell is one of the important pieces used to keep the trans from letting go of 3rd & 4th gears.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trouble with trannys...Is that okay to say?   Trouble with trannys...Is that okay to say? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trouble with trannys...Is that okay to say?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GM Longroof Forum :: Longroof Tech :: Drivetrain and Towing-
Jump to: