GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section) Empty
PostSubject: Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section)   Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 9:31 am

Need some advice on my 94's antenna. The antenna was up permanently when I bought it. No big deal, I thought, mast is broken so it is disconnected. Upon closer inspection, I found the fuse sitting in the ash tray, and the antenna disconnected. To double check things before I replaced it, I plugged in the antenna and replaced the fuse. To my surprise, the antenna worked perfectly! It was that way all year.

This spring, the antenna operation started to become erratic. Sometimes it would not go up right away, raising after a few minutes, and sometimes it wouldn't retract. I cleaned the mast carefully and gave it a good scrub with some 0000 steel wool, which seemed to help for a few weeks. Finally, last month, the antenna ceased raising. I just checked the fuse (good) and the wiring. 12v on the two wires at the connector when radio is on, and 12v on the other when off. The mast cable is not broken.

Obviously, the previous owner experienced similar problems, and that is why it was disconnected. Not sure why it worked for a year after I hooked it back up...

I don't really care about the antenna working, I would just like the antenna to be up so reception is better. Unfortunately, the tip is just down far enough that I can't grab it.

Part two:
Man, the FSM is terrible for antenna diagnosis! No trouble flow charts, nothing. Just the mounting points. Doesn't even give the voltage for the three wires at the connector. No mention of the fuse.

Wonder if it could be the relay? Doubt it.

I am thinking it is a problem with the thrust reaction switch inside the unit. I remember one time when the antenna stayed up after I shut the car off and I got it to retract by pushing gently on the top of the mast. I am betting if I can pull on the mast a little bit, the antenna will come up. Unfortunately, all attempts to grab the tip of the mast have failed. I even tried a string lasso.

Part three:
I decided to come up with a new strategy for trying to grab the antenna to give it some help when the radio came on. I took a small pocket screwdriver, and used some JB Weld to stick it to the tip of the antenna down in the antenna base. Let it sit overnight so the bond would hopefully be strong enough given that it is a very small surface area to grab.

This morning, I come out to the driveway, turn on the car, fire up the radio (ready to jump out of the car to try my Mcguyver antenna handle... and the antenna works perfectly by itself. Oh, the irony. I drove to work with the antenna up and a screwdriver glued to the top of it. I'll leave it on for awhile to see if the antenna will keep working. Of course, as soon as I take it off, you know it will stay retracted...

Yes, I will take a pic. Red Green worthy, no doubt.
Back to top Go down
silverfox103
silverfox103

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section)   Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 9:57 am

Part four:

Get satellite radio and you would never use the antenna again. You will never miss the regular car radio.

Tom

Last edited by silverfox103 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section)   Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 10:21 am

Not doing a monthly payment for music. The car has an Ipod controlling head unit for all the music I need. I like local radio (free) for morning shows and sports.
Back to top Go down
phantom 309

phantom 309

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section)   Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 8:06 pm

jayoldschool wrote:
Not doing a monthly payment for music. The car has an Ipod controlling head unit for all the music I need. I like local radio (free) for morning shows and sports.

so um,. why didn't you unscrew the ring,. then grab the antenna?
yes the relay is nfg,. it needs a bump and it'll go,.
Nick
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section)   Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Thanks Nick. I'll swap out the relay. I may have a couple of others around Wink

Part five (or whatever we are up to...): got home from work, shut off the car, and the antenna stayed up. So, I broke off the screwdriver, pulled the antenna fuse, and called it a day. No antenna is going to mock ME like that.
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section)   Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 8:43 pm

Not sure if its the same issue, but here goes. My antenna is stuck up. It's currently unplugged, when you plug the antenna power in the motor turns and turns without stopping. Is this the same issue?
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section)   Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 11:13 pm

Cadet57 wrote:
Not sure if its the same issue, but here goes. My antenna is stuck up. It's currently unplugged, when you plug the antenna power in the motor turns and turns without stopping. Is this the same issue?

The problems are not related. When the motor turns continuously the culprit is a broken cable. The motor never has pressure on it to shift the armature and open/close the directional switch.

The intermittant antenna could be either the relay, the brushes on the motor, or possibly the grease hardening in the motor's sliding shaft switch/worm gear.
Back to top Go down
jayoldschool

jayoldschool

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section)   Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2010 12:18 pm

Thanks, Fred. I will try the relay first and then get back to you if I need disassembling assistance. I do have three other antennas in various states to scavenge from.
Back to top Go down
Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section)   Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 15, 2010 9:48 pm

You need an antenna that has the same motor unit, and will go up and down properly. Use a smooth grip pliers, and an adjustable wrench. Adjust the wrench to fit the flats on the final. Heat the final on your electric stove set to high. Using the pliers, grasp the shaft with a death grip, and put the wrench on the final. The final will twist off (do both).

To remove the mast from both units at the rubber inslulators...Remove the top clip, and drill out the top rivet...spread the top of the black case and remove them from both units. Then slip the top segment out of the rest of the mast (do both).

Assembly is the reverse of disassembly, except that you need a bolt and nut to replace the rivet. Use a little locktite to secure the final, and tighten.

You also have to swap the pigtail. cut it close to the case on the original and leave some wire on the donor. You can attach it with crimp connectors, or solder and shrink tubing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section)   Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Intermittent antenna (split from the FS section)
Page 1 of 1