GM Longroof Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Custom Cruiser Before and After

Go down 
+2
toomanytoyz
81X11
6 posters
AuthorMessage
81X11

81X11

Custom Cruiser Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Custom Cruiser Before and After   Custom Cruiser Before and After Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 7:30 pm

Cleaning out my computer today I found a pic of the '89 Custom Cruiser the day I got it. I know a lot of you like before and after pics, so enjoy.

This car only had 47K miles on it when I got it. It was traded in at a local Toyota/Honda dealer, it belonged to an older lady's husband who had died and she wanted a smaller car. Traded it for a Civic or Corolla if I remember right. Had all the paperwork in the glove box and I called her about it to see if the miles were true.

The inside was nearly perfect, just needed a bath, but it had always been parked in an open carport and the passenger side of the car faced the afternoon Texas sun, so the wood on the passenger side was shot. I debated about replacing the wood...this was in 2004, but could not find any, so decided to strip it.

It took me a full week of evenings with a hair dryer, razor blades, and WD-40 to get all that wood off the car. Was a PAIN. The drivers side come off in large sections once I heated it up. But it was REALLY dry on the passenger side so there was no peeling it, even hot. It came off in little chunks, took HOURS to get it off, my fingers bled, no joke. I promised myself I'd NEVER do that again!

GM painted the car brown around the gas lid, bumper fillers, and trim on the tail lights, so I had to have those parts of the car painted white. BUT in the end I really liked it de-wooded. And unlike some wagons the chrome trim that outlined the wood before actually still looked fine on the car. It followed the body line so I left it alone.

Lots of detailing, a set of aluminum "Turbine" Buick-style wheels from the salvage yard, and some nice tires and window tint later, and I had the sharpest Custom Crusier in town. ; ) Wish I had more before pics!

Before Passeger Side
Custom Cruiser Before and After Olds-badside

After Passenger Side
Custom Cruiser Before and After Beacxh1

Before Rear View
Custom Cruiser Before and After Woodrear

After Rear View
Custom Cruiser Before and After Beach2

Before Driver's Side
Custom Cruiser Before and After Goodside

After Driver's Side
Custom Cruiser Before and After Salepics003

After a solid week of scraping off wood and cleaning:
Custom Cruiser Before and After Cleaner
Custom Cruiser Before and After Cleanfront

Added the Turbine Wheels...still had White Walls....tinted windows:
Custom Cruiser Before and After Newwheels
Custom Cruiser Before and After Wheels
Custom Cruiser Before and After Bridge

Added T/A Radials:
Custom Cruiser Before and After Rwlwagon
Custom Cruiser Before and After Newtires
Custom Cruiser Before and After Wagonback

Olds 307....a regular ball of fire...HA!
Custom Cruiser Before and After OldsWagonUpdate004

Sharp Dash and Interior!
Custom Cruiser Before and After Dash
Custom Cruiser Before and After OldsWagonUpdate002
Custom Cruiser Before and After OldsSteeringWheel001
Custom Cruiser Before and After OldsWagonUpdate008
Custom Cruiser Before and After OldsWagonUpdate007

My kiddo at the beach, Padre Island Texas....age 3!
Custom Cruiser Before and After Beach3

Wally World Dad? That's right son! Roy Wally World!
Custom Cruiser Before and After WallyWorld001

And here is how it looked the last time I saw it. I sold it too a good friend and he added red pin stripes to the bumpers and side chrome, blacked out the bare metal parts on the wheels, and added surfer stickers to the car....and removed my Wally World sticker. Boo. : (

Custom Cruiser Before and After OldsMGGN004
Custom Cruiser Before and After OldsMGGN001
Custom Cruiser Before and After Oldswag001
Custom Cruiser Before and After OldsMGGN009

It was later sold at action and I've lost track of it now. Wish I could have kept it....have never seen a nicer one!

Last edited by 81X11 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:53 pm; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
toomanytoyz

toomanytoyz

PostSubject: Re: Custom Cruiser Before and After   Custom Cruiser Before and After Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Wow. That thing looked the balls! Smile
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Custom Cruiser Before and After   Custom Cruiser Before and After Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 8:23 pm

When I first saw it I almost didn't stop and look at it. I figured it was totally shot from a distance. You never know!
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Custom Cruiser Before and After   Custom Cruiser Before and After Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 8:28 pm

I traded a crap-ass 94 Ford Aerostar van even-up for that wagon. The guy thought I was nuts when I told him I wanted to trade even. The Aerostar, while an ugly design, was spotless, waxed, and looked new in and out (it was my car...). I HATED that van, it was given to us by a family friend, only Ford I've ever owned. No power, something ALWAYS wrong with it, leaking on it, falling off on it......and it looked like a Dustbuster.

I was thrilled to trade even. The dealer thought he'd made the deal of a lifetime. That Olds, other than cosmetics when I fixed it up, never gave me a problem mechanically. ; )
Back to top Go down
Cadet57

Cadet57

PostSubject: Re: Custom Cruiser Before and After   Custom Cruiser Before and After Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 8:35 pm

That is exactly what ive been thinking of doing with my Caprice. I like how the molding looks even without the wood, I've seen a 91-96 like that too.
Back to top Go down
Bewber

Bewber

PostSubject: Re: Custom Cruiser Before and After   Custom Cruiser Before and After Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 9:41 pm

toomanytoyz wrote:
Wow. That thing looked the balls! Smile

AMEN!
Back to top Go down
sherlock9c1

PostSubject: Re: Custom Cruiser Before and After   Custom Cruiser Before and After Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 12:27 am

81X11 wrote:
I traded a crap-ass 94 Ford Aerostar van even-up for that wagon. The guy thought I was nuts when I told him I wanted to trade even. The Aerostar, while an ugly design, was spotless, waxed, and looked new in and out (it was my car...). I HATED that van, it was given to us by a family friend, only Ford I've ever owned. No power, something ALWAYS wrong with it, leaking on it, falling off on it......and it looked like a Dustbuster.
It is worth noting that the base engine during the first several years of Aerostar production was an 88-horsepower 2.3L four-cylinder. NO, I am NOT KIDDING.
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Custom Cruiser Before and After   Custom Cruiser Before and After Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 12:46 am

Well this was an extended-wheelbase model....so it looked like an extra-long Dustbuster, it was even white...but whoever ordered it new didn't spring for the 4.0 V6. Ours has the little 3.0 Taurus "Vulcan" V6 engine in it. I tried to take it on a trip to Tennessee and it WOULD NOT got over 25 up the hills, and then for fun the rear main seal blew in the middle of nowhere.

Compared to that gutless Ford the 307 in the Custom Cruiser felt like a 502 big-block. ; )

It's a close race between it and an '83 Isuzu I-Mark for the least favorite vehicle I've owned award. I think the Ford wins....
Back to top Go down
Sprocket

Sprocket

PostSubject: Re: Custom Cruiser Before and After   Custom Cruiser Before and After Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 7:24 pm

Nice pics! love the turbines, would love to score a set of them....
my buddy's dad has an 82 isuzu diesel pic up. you had to turn the AC off and down shift to pass a bicyclist.... slowest thing ever....
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Custom Cruiser Before and After   Custom Cruiser Before and After Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 7:26 pm

Mine had a gas engine, but was no ball of fire. I traded that I-Mark for a 1979 Bonneville Brougham that smelled of old people but had the most comfy seats of any car I've owned. ; )
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Custom Cruiser Before and After   Custom Cruiser Before and After Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 5:13 pm

Had a lot more Custom Cruiser pics in that Parisienne file, so I updated the Before and After pics at the start of this thread. Goes from a dirty car with peeling woodgrain to a clean car with no woodgrain, adding wheels, tint, and then tires.

A LOT of sweat and elbow grease went into that car.

I do miss that Cruiser. It was a really nice when I sold it. Enjoy the pics gang!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
81X11

81X11

PostSubject: Re: Custom Cruiser Before and After   Custom Cruiser Before and After Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 5:04 pm

Ok, I've officially added ALL my Olds pics to the start of this chain. Better than a scapbook!

-Mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom Cruiser Before and After   Custom Cruiser Before and After Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Custom Cruiser Before and After
Page 1 of 1